What book are you reading?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiaphane

Reaction score
Since there is a thread on movies and music, I figure we should start one on what we are all reading.

Currently I am reading Elizabeth Hand's Waking the Moon, which is a mass market, quick read, suspense novel.

My personal favorites are Faulkner's early works (Sound and the Fury, Light in August), Haruki Murakami, Paul Auster, I love Victorian novels (can't get enough of them), detective novels, i.e. Chandler and Hammett, Hemingway short stories, Coetzee and Nabokov.

There is nothing better to me than a good book.

Oh, and I should add, I love Harry Potter. I have read all of them three times.

I am so out of my element here...do orchid and aquarium books count?

I can read for hours about some mundane tiny plant from a stream in New Guinea, or how to calculate calcium uptake in association with carbonates...but can't get myself to open a book just for the entertainment value of a good story. There must be something wrong with me.

Jon
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:
Yes, Jon, of course those count! I wish I read more nonfiction. The last nonfiction I read was about super massive black holes. I read too many lies!:)

I'm just the opposite of Jon :)
I love to read books but not informal ones.

at the moment I'm reading the Dark Tower of Stephen King - and I'm finishing the last book.
The whole story has 7 Books and Stephen King started to write it in 1970's and finished it 2005.
I must say he is really weird but very intelligent - great story.

Merrick

Jon in SW Ohio said:
I am so out of my element here...

uh, you are? Did you forget where you were Jon? ;)

I have been reading the sequal to "Wicked" for months. I just cannot get into it. So mostly, I've been reading orchid stuff instead.

i haven't started it yet but I got a book about the history of taxonomy. Looks fascinating! I'll have to look up the title when I get home.

I'm reading two books...

fiction - "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - Mark Haddon (yes, I know it's a children's book, but it is so good)

non-fiction - "The Slipper Orchids" - Catherine Cash

I LOVE Stephen King and Dean Koontz books and try to collect them all. At the moment I am reading The DaVinci Code. Saw the movie and absolutely loved it...one of the best I've ever seen....so i had to read the book.

My favourite Stephen King short story has to be 'The Mist' Anyone else read it? It freaked me right out. When he wrote as Bachman I liked 'The Long Walk' the best.

Wiley CPA Exam Review 2006 : Financial Accounting and Reporting :( It's a great book if you ever need something to fall asleep on. It's not comfy though. They should make pillow bindings on these! :poke:

I have been reading the phone book a lot, lately.

Trying to find reliable and qualified contractors to get some work done around this place.

PHRAG said:
I am reading a book on Sushi. History, how to roll it, recipes etc.
Great! Make a setting for one more, cause I'm coming over for dinner!:clap:

adiaphane said:
Great! Make a setting for one more, cause I'm coming over for dinner!:clap:

Ok, but can you bring some fresh seafood? I live in Phoenix, and you know what they say about land-locked states and seafood.

Yeah, we get really nice seafood here... although the mercury level in the bay is a little high. ;)

Heather said:
I actually "learned" to eat sushi in Albuquerque.

I ate sushi there too, but most sushi places can get their fish overnighted, next day at the latest. If I go to the grocery store to buy some, there is a good chance it will be three days old. I just have reservations about how safe it would be for me to eat it raw.

Latest posts

Back