What are you using for flask-vent filters?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,

You mentioned mason jars. I have used them with some good results. I replace the flat metal top with a sheet of transparent oven bag ( the kind used to cook meat in the oven to retain moisture). I cut a hole in that sheet with a hole punch and covered it with a layer of Johnson and Johnson cloth medical tape. I found that the flasks dry out too quickly with a single layer so I use a double layer of tape. My contamination rates are very low about the same as with other glass flasks.

Chuck

Chuck said:
Rob,

You mentioned mason jars. I have used them with some good results. I replace the flat metal top with a sheet of transparent oven bag ( the kind used to cook meat in the oven to retain moisture). I cut a hole in that sheet with a hole punch and covered it with a layer of Johnson and Johnson cloth medical tape. I found that the flasks dry out too quickly with a single layer so I use a double layer of tape. My contamination rates are very low about the same as with other glass flasks.

Chuck

Do you autoclave (/pressure cook/) them with the oven bag and tape on?

Rob

More experimenting yesterday....

I've found that using the 3M bandages with a strip of micropore tape over the top keeps them from sliding around when they're heated, which was the only significant problem I was having with them.

I guess that some people are using the bandages on the inside and on the outside of the vent hole, which I also haven't been doing. I'll do that in the future to reduce the risk of contamination, I guess. With this method, I'd be looking at about 11 cents per flask on venting materials, which is manageable :)

- Matt

David, I haven't been able to find a filtration level for the Nexcare products. Maybe and email to 3M would get the answer, though...

Rob,

Yes I do. I use a pressure cooker. The above mentioned materials do fine in it.

Chuck

Non absorbant cotton wool!!

Dear Kyle,
Sigma has it here in the UK.
Ask??
Paul

Thanks Paul,

I will check with Sigma in Canada. But it won't do me much good since they refuse to sell to me since I am a hobbiest, not a business. I Have been using fabric tape with good success and am going to move away from closure devices that require cotton.

Thanks!

Kyle

Back