West Palm Beach Judging

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who cares about the Antoinette... how do I get a piece of the Phrag. Mariza Rolando!

Actually that is how I found this caricinum picture. I was doing a google search for Phrag. Mariza Rolando (=Hanne Popow x kovachii), and yes I agree it is a beauty! The reason I did a google search, is that I just remade this cross using one of our 4N Phrag. Hanne Popow's (Hanne Popow 'War Eagle' AM/AOS from the Eric Young Foundation). It is probably the largest Hanne Popow I have ever seen! Combined with a kovachii, it should make a super hybrid!

Robert

Robert you are right it seems to me a Elfin Touch (Green Hornet x hirtzii)...
Linus I care about this kind of things... because some of this wrongly labelled plants can be breed and it will be a big confusion. And this is more likely when the plant receives an AOS

Robert you are right it seems to me a Elfin Touch (Green Hornet x hirtzii)...
Linus I care about this kind of things... because some of this wrongly labelled plants can be breed and it will be a big confusion. And this is more likely when the plant receives an AOS

I am with you!!

Robert

Robert, A few years ago friends and I brought some paph species for judging in San Francisco. A judge felt it was a hybrid. He claimed to be a taxonomist. I wrote a letter to the then AOS president, Carols F., about the insanity we experienced at judging. To his credit he had a Dr. Krauss reach out to me. Krauss was then head of judging. Krauss listened to the judge and offered me the opportunity to register the "hybrid" in my name. This was suggested by the judge/taxonomist Paph Russ Palmer!!!! I pointed out to Dr. Krauss the hybrid he wanted me to register was registered in the 1890's, plus I already had a plant named after me. Krauss to his credit admitted he looked stupid in suggesting I re-register a plant from the 1890's. After that I gave up on anything to do with the AOS. The AOS in my opinion is a joke. I do have the emails somewhere. Russ palmer

Last edited:
I assume the Cattleytonia type labeled as Vanda Alberta Rubio 'Midnight Delight' AM/AOS is just a mislabeled photo. At least I hope AOS judges aren't that far off in their identification skills.

I assume the Cattleytonia type labeled as Vanda Alberta Rubio 'Midnight Delight' AM/AOS is just a mislabeled photo. At least I hope AOS judges aren't that far off in their identification skills.

I noticed that too.

That lady Isabel is questionable at best. AOS judging = joke.

I agree with you on that one! Also I noticed they gave the Phrag. Suzanne Decker an AM/AOS. Also a total joke. The form is terrible with twisted petals.

Robert

Another oddity, The Phrag. April Fool 'Fool's Gold' that I posted earlier, we have taken that plant probably 4 times to judging. I think it is probably THE best Phrag. April Fool that I have ever seen, and a fast improvement over Phrag. Cardinale. The judges have never considered it "Good Enough" for an AOS award...go figure...And they give an AM/AOS to that Paph. Lady Isabel and Phrag. Suzanne Decker?? That tells you that there is something wrong with the current Judging system, it is too much in "The Eye of the Beholder" and depends too much on personal preferences of certain Judges (I am not saying every Judge is that way)...

Robert

Back