wentworthianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this topic belongs elsewhere, but maybe more people will read it here and- to me- it is a very good news. I talked to Mr. Hilmar Bauch in Vienna after he was selling wentworthianums for 150 euros. I asked about its origin. He saw at an Italian collector had illegally collected a flowering specimens, he wanted to buy one, but the Italian refused to sell a single one. He called and called him, until he received a seed pod, it was a selfie of a flowering specimen. He managed to germinate it, the plants are available in bs size, now legally.

Attachments

• IMG_20230223_125919.jpg
    IMG_20230223_125919.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Illegal plants can never produce legal seedlings! Also a nursery cannot legalize it. But good luck with. It will be interesting to see the blooming result!

Illegal plants can never produce legal seedlings! Also a nursery cannot legalize it. But good luck with. It will be interesting to see the blooming result!
Thank you, Olaf.I think, this is the best way to save natural habitat, propagation arteficially from seeds instead of collecting plants from wild. This one is my favourite sp. so i m very happy.I have two reasons: i can get plants from seeds in lab, not from forest, second, arteficially propagated plants are more easy to grow, they are more independent from fungal symbiosis.

Let’s hope the seed pods are real wentworthianums so Istvan can sib to save the species from extinction!

Thank you, Olaf.I think, this is the best way to save natural habitat, propagation arteficially from seeds instead of collecting plants from wild. This one is my favourite sp. so i m very happy.I have two reasons: i can get plants from seeds in lab, not from forest, second, arteficially propagated plants are more easy to grow, they are more independent from fungal symbiosis.
I agree with you. I wrote only about the status of these plants.

Latest posts

Back