Wentworthianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 to 9 month seems long to me. All pods I had (not too many) were ripe in 6 month the most, therefor I harvest them green after 5 month... am I doing nonsens?

6 to 9 month seems long to me. All pods I had (not too many) were ripe in 6 month the most, therefor I harvest them green after 5 month... am I doing nonsens?
Depending on the natural pod rate of each species and their environment, pods can take 3-9 months (sometimes 12 months as in my case of sukhakuliis) before dehiscence. A majority of mine are around the 6-9 months under warm lights. Since I send seeds to flaskers, I need pods to naturally open to collect dry seeds to mail out.

Theoretically the seeds have viable embryos by 4-6 months, and many have had successful germinations at that time frame.

Has all yours germinate as green pods at 5 months? Which species?

I'm trying just for a little time and started with hybrids.
What worked well at 6 month was St. Swithin x lawrenceanum, these are already at 10 - 20 cm LS.
At 6 month David Ott x callosum was already open, but just about 20 plants survived.
All others harvested at 5 month are still protocorms:
roth x hookerae, acmodontum x fowliei, fowliei x thaianum David Ott x hennisianum.
micrantum x wolterianum had no viable seeds after 5 month.
This year hopefully there will come some more...

BTW: In case of selfing would it be better to use the fresh pollen or to use the pollen of last year? (Sorry for getting off topic)

Latest posts

Back