Wentworthianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Elite Orchids

Mark-UK
ST Supporter
Reaction score
i treated myself a little while ago on a super special birthday to a wentworthianum - this is the result. do we think it is a duffer? should i risk a self as they are so rare? what are your thought?

Attachments

dodidoki

Reaction score
i treated myself a little while ago on a super special birthday to a wentworthianum - this is the result. do we think it is a duffer? should i risk a self as they are so rare? what are your thought?
Great!Could you send pics about whole plant and where dorsal can be seen?

Last edited:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics.

Looks so much like a cupped mastersianum, esp the colors, and even the staminode.

It's worth breeding, best outcross to Istvan's wenthworth when it opens (on op of selfing, if roots are strong).

Feed well after blooming as it seems nutrient deficiency is high with them from flowering.

Elite Orchids

Mark-UK
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics.

Looks so much like a cupped mastersianum, esp the colors, and even the staminode.

It's worth breeding, best outcross to Istvan's wenthworth when it opens (on op of selfing, if roots are strong).

Feed well after blooming as it seems nutrient deficiency is high with them from flowering.
think it is labelled correctly ? could it be a masterianum? it has 2 growths and is growing well.

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
think it is labelled correctly ? could it be a masterianum? it has 2 growths and is growing well.
Ooops, I did not mean to doubt it was wenworth. I just pointed out it looked similar to mastersianum.

But I will do a little research now for curiosity. It's rare to get a chance to study this species.

If you could humor me... What is size of flower? The width of petals looks bigger than a mastersianum.

Also size of plant and largest leaf?

dodidoki

Reaction score
Here is my plant.Too rare to pollinate it, i m not enough brave although it was single growth plant and now stronger than before.

Attachments

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps risky for both plants? Maybe if there were 4-5 growths.

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
No wentworthium that flowers is “a duffer.”

Elite Orchids

Mark-UK
ST Supporter
Reaction score
i have 2 new growths coming along quickly and 1 old growth - not a lot of roots. here are the dims and pics. any thing else, just say

Attachments

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for pics! Two new growths!!

I would grow the plant to stronger and pollinate next year with more roots. Perhaps save this years pollen.

dodidoki

Reaction score
I agree with Leslie, better to wait .👍If flower opens more,send us a pic please.

Last edited:

Alex

Reaction score
Mark,

Wow! The flower could open a bit more, but otherwise excellent. That is certainly for me a real wentworthianum, lacking the spotting on the inner part of the petals that would make me think papuanum. May I ask where you were able to obtain such an incredible rarity (at some cost, no doubt!)?

Alex

Latest posts