Went with 2, came home with 1

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Get ready for the avalanche now folks! Not what I wanted but somebody had to be the first. Paph tranlienianum 'Chocolate Drop' again.
7nd1.jpg

Yeap and that sucks for me........Now, when I get may FCC it will cost me 72.00 bucks!:rollhappy:

Last edited:
Too bad you didn't have two of these to take in, the first could be the CHM and the second the AM:clap:

How many points?

If I could reach you I'd slap you Rick! Its hard enough to get one grow'in and bloom'in!:D

I had to leave the judging for awhile. When I came back the lead judge pointed out to me what he had posted on the computer slide screens (6 X 8 ft) for all to view. What the AOS excepted as legal imports and what was not. I read the very short list; gigant, hang, viet and wenshane then the notice went on to say "all others are illegal" They had tagged it anyways and went to a table....I didn't feel so good.:(

You need a minim of 80 points for a CHM

Aren't CHM also provisional pending taxonomic verification?

This is such an obvious species, it may not need anything beyond photos.

I once got a CHM on a Malaxis species, and had to send a cut off spike to a proff. in Oklahoma.

Well done Rick (I think?). That is a very nice clone so I think you were robbed of an AM award. You needed a one-two punch as Rick said. :)

Aren't CHM also provisional pending taxonomic verification?

This is such an obvious species, it may not need anything beyond photos.

I once got a CHM on a Malaxis species, and had to send a cut off spike to a proff. in Oklahoma.
I may still have to do that Rick. Nobody mentioned it at the time.
I believe these were accepted as legal w/ paperwork thru Hengduan. Congrats anyway.
Took all my paperwork with me. I had Perner's sales receipt and I printed off one of his PDF's that Ray provided for us where Perner states his company is the only legal importer of these Paphs into the United States. I also highlighted the section in the PDF, where Perner explains why the cost is way too high to have CITES papers for each individual plant when he visits the US for shows. The 4 team of judges excepted all of that as fact and proceeded. As of yesterday, according to their records no one had formally presented tranlienianum to AOS for award consideration. Mentioned by Tom, this plant will be the base for others to follow. The judges had no other choice but a CHM. The next blooming I can take it for flower quality award consideration.

There was a tranlienianum in the NJOS show, and some for sale. Don't think they would have had them for sale if it weren't legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, the judges at the NJOS show wasn't willing to be the first to open that can of worms. The plant owner may not had the proper paperwork handy with the plant at the time of judging so they would of passed over it.

Congratulations! It's time to get this species into the mainstream and for them to qualify for awards.

Yes!!

So make sure you check on the provisional taxonomic thing. It would bite if the record lapsed for procedural crap.

I would check on the AOS website if your local judge consultants aren't available for comment.

I know the AOS site has a list of people registered as taxonomic verifiers, and it was up to me to pick who I thought would be the best for the Malaxis.

Yes!!

So make sure you check on the provisional taxonomic thing. It would bite if the record lapsed for procedural crap.

I would check on the AOS website if your local judge consultants aren't available for comment.

I know the AOS site has a list of people registered as taxonomic verifiers, and it was up to me to pick who I thought would be the best for the Malaxis.
The head judge emailed me and forward a copy of my sells receipt. I guess that is all I needed.

Congrats on a nice one Rick. One was awarded a CHM recently just a bit before yours and they also had paperwork from Hengduan. The plant was verified as true to the species. There isn't much of a problem with this one because it is so distinct. Unfortunately that isn't always the case.
http://speciesidentificationtaskforce.blogspot.com/2013/12/paphiopedilum-tranlienianum.html

This is great to here. Now there is at least two documented plants to work from.

Latest posts

Back