Went Leaf Peeping, Got Racks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Strategy-
Combine peak fall foliage with lunar phase, to collect possible wallhangers of active elk.

Day 1
Our first encounter.
Off to the right of us is a monster bull elk.
He is snoozing, and surrounded by much vegetation. Not so good.
In the meantime, this youngster crosses the creek.

I like it only because of the water, and it was a nice warmup before heading off to the honey hole.

About an hour later, it got busy.
Cloudy, and late in the afternoon.

He is bugling his lungs out here. Next year I'll have audio.

Love it when they make eye contact. Too bad that weed is in the way...

Another bugle. I think this guy was king of that harem.

For the leaf peepers.

Thanks for looking. :)

the foliage in the background of the second photo makes me smile
looks almost like a rainbow

Nice pictures! I have pictures that I've taken of orchids and various things and my camera takes high quality pictures. How do I downsize the pics to load to Slipper Talk? There is a setting on my camera for web and email attachments but I don't want to have to use that setting every time to take a picture just to upload to ST.

Oh wow!
Those are some really enchanting photos :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Perfect autumn photos, Clark. But do be careful. The last
time we were in Banff, BC a Japanese tourist was gored quite badly while taking photos of a bull elk. They get a bit
touchy this time of year.

Thank you very much everybody!

The last time we were in Banff, BC a Japanese tourist was gored quite badly while taking photos of a bull elk.

Maybe he/she was holding a Nikon???
Just kidding. I think these elk are very used to being photographed.
While this is free chase by any measure, the weekends are packed with tourists. Too busy for us, and so much better during weekdays.
When we hike to a decent spot and set up tripod, often the elk will graze.
We stand in same spot sometimes for over an hour, and elk will end up 10-15ft. from us. We can hear them chewing. The bugling is exciting, as it echos against the foothills.
Angela, I have read Kentucky's elk herd is 10,000. Any by you?

Orchidboy- we use Imageshack, and opened the cheapest account.
If you want, on Sunday I can walk you through it over the phone. Pm me.
Other folks use photobucket, and I think there is a way to use flickr. But I won't be of help with those.

Thanks again for the great pics Clark. I was also a bit worried about one of these big critters chasing you down one day. :eek:

Thanks guys!

Michel, these elk are herbivores :), and the chances of estrous cycle is nill :D

Dido, I love going to the zoo.

Newbud, presently using Canon 100-400mm.
This is mounted on Canon 7D. Mounted on tall, study tripod, and I also use Canon remote(# RS-80N3), even for the birds.
All the pics shown were at 400mm, except landscape(100mm.)
This isn't really a landscape lens, I like to hike light.

Thanks again.:)

Those photos are awe-inspiring. The first few made me hungry, but after a few all I could think was, "wow those are some majestic beasts." Clark, you have defeated a mighty power, my stomach, with your amazing photography. A tip of my hat to you!

Latest posts

Back