wenshanense var. aureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The correct name for this colorform is Paph. wenshanense forma album. It was described in Orchidee (Hamburg) 53: 383 (2002) by me and Mr. Petchleung who had found the plant first time.
Really a wonderful clone.

The correct name for this colorform is Paph. wenshanense forma album. It was described in Orchidee (Hamburg) 53: 383 (2002) by me and Mr. Petchleung who had found the plant first time.
Really a wonderful clone.
Actually, that is not correct.
An album variety would lack dark pigments on the plants. Please note the leaves. They look exactly the same as type variety and one can't tell them apart unless they are in bloom.

Actually, that is not correct.
An album variety would lack dark pigments on the plants. Please note the leaves. They look exactly the same as type variety and one can't tell them apart unless they are in bloom.
Valid point re leaf pigmentation.

Let’s see what taxonomist Olaf who described this variety ‘album’ says to this. I’m curious to know if pigmented leaves do indeed rule out the valid use of the term.

Valid point re leaf pigmentation.

Let’s see what taxonomist Olaf who described this variety ‘album’ says to this. I’m curious to know if pigmented leaves do indeed rule out the valid use of the term.
Take bellatulum for an example. The leaves completely lack dark pigments. Not only that, the flowers is pure white lacking any colors.
Truly album in every sense of the word.
However, this plant not only has dark pigments on the leaves, but also the flower is yellowish meaning there are color pigments in the floral tissues. Yellow flowers are technically album, aren't they?

Enough time has lapsed and edit function isn't there, so here I am.
The last sentence in the above comment should read "Yellow flowers are not technically album, are they?"
Sorry about the typos.

The typeplant had also these leaves. The description of the forma based on the coloration of the flower. You can find also other albine clones of different species with typical leavecoloration.

Ok, so I understand that you classify album only by the flower color being purely white or yellow in this particular case.
I find it problematic and potentially confusing as to me album means plants lacking color pigments altogether other than chlorophylls.

Back