Weird things in my room- sorry many pics to load

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not for Lien's view...I picked these up for my kids when I was in Peru. I have many collections but most are packed away
bugs.jpg

but1.jpg

back view same butterflies, it is a double sided glass frame
but2.jpg

Yes, the thorax pinch is a techniqe we use all the time. You don't have to squish it b/w your fingers, all you do is pinch and release. You'll feel a little 'crunch' and it's done. Most of the time it will kill the butterfly instantly. Don't try to pinch the atlas moth though, hehe. Those we inject at the sheets with 2-propanol

btw, my friend who is a complete nut about this wants me to start a forum about insect collecting...sigh... :) Insectboard ? hehe

Here's my cabinet. I have about 6 more cabinets frozen. Some bugs are not spread properly, I had an accident and my aquarium leaked all over my old cases. I got new cases, but never re-spread the bugs.

That's my insect cabinet. Right now it serves as a stand for my tadpoles :)

Friend of mine is an entomological supplier and builds these. Everything fits very snugly and drawers are on rails.

Madagascar Sunset Moths, compare them to the local luna moths in Ontario, Canada.

This is probably the nastiest thing I cought myself. It's a tarantula hawk (pepsis wasp) Largest wasp species in the world. Initially I thought it was a mouse moving in the brush. It was hunting for large spiders to parasitize. That wasp gave me the weebee jeebies :)

Marty said:
Here's my cabinet....

It was hunting for large spiders to parasitize. That wasp gave me the weebee jeebies :)
Great cabinet! I would love something like that for my shell/mineral/fossil collections
There are many bugs that give me the heebie jeebies but butterflies are not one of them!! I think that wasp would have and large beetles do too

great looking cabinets.....I would love to have just a fraction of your collection

not mine, but also a nice wasp. Mine might be a tad larger though.

TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

my collection is tiny. My friend that makes the cabinets has a customer in Alabama that has several hundred of these cabinets. His private collection is insane! He orderd something like 1500 additional drawers

the thing that gives me the biggest weebie jeebies are the whip scorpions, they live in caves and tree hollows and are lightning fast

here's one: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Horrors/TaillessWhipScorpion.jpg

my wife hates the house centipedes, this picture freaked her out: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Horrors/HouseCentipede.jpg

hehe... it's always my job to catch it and flush it down the toilet. I esp like the wiggling legs once they come off :)

:rollhappy: This is a really cool thread. Not for the faint hearted that's for sure.:rollhappy: Love the butterflies. I used to be terrified of spiders until I started working a riverside nursery during the dry years here. Spiders...BIG SPIDERS everywhere. You couldn't walk anywhere with out running into the webs, especially in the morning. Needless to say after having them crawling on me, I got over my fear real fast. I got a picture of a pretty (living) one in my garden. I'll try to find the picture of post, too really creep ya out.:evil:

Latest posts

Back