Weird things in my room- sorry many pics to load

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
Heather wanted this. Sorry too many photos of the odd things in my room and the butterfly wall.
DSCN0686.jpg

The top one is Morpho didius Oxapama Peru Aug 2004. The bottom one is Morpho sulkowskyi descimokoenigi Peru Sept/04.
DSCN0697.jpg

Papilo ulysses ulysses Ceramis Is. Maluku Indonesia June/00
DSCN0699.jpg

Attacus atlas The top one is male and bottom one female. She's got a larger abdomen
DSCN0702.jpg

Some painted ladies. They don't usually come into Edmonton, but we were flooded by them in 2005. (These are the only ones I preserved myself. I watched the female lay her eggs and raised them myself, inevitably they would have all died in the winter so I don't understand why they migrate up north in flocks about every 5 years)
DSCN0704.jpg

Some more:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/fren_smartie/things/DSCN0708.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/fren_smartie/things/DSCN0716.jpg

Fossils:
DSCN0713.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/fren_smartie/things/DSCN0740.jpg
Look at the compound eyes!
DSCN0733.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/fren_smartie/things/DSCN0725.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/fren_smartie/things/DSCN0719.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/fren_smartie/things/DSCN0722.jpg

Anyone else have weird things?

omg i wouldn't be able to sleep with all those butterflies on the wall. i am deathly afraid of butterflies. Nice collection though!

nice. I have a huge fossil collection, just nowhere to display them.

I love those pix! I remeber a weird little store I found Statensland way too many years ago....nothing but mounted insects, everywhere...the most spectacular things imaginable...and a tank of live mudskippers....everything , I think, was for sale...well, maybe not the mudskippers....And I remember collecting fossils in my college days..there was a canyon, (Kashong Glen, just south of Geneva, NY, on rt 14)..mostly corals and crinoids,but I still have a scar on my finger from breaking open the rock that had my first (and only) trilobite fossil. By the way, if you haven't read it already,
i'd highly recommend Trilobite, by Richard Fortey, an amazingly entertaining, informative, and well written book, even for someone without any interest in trilobites....Take care, Eric

Those were beautiful. Not weird at all.

Weird would be having those felt posters from 80's that glowed when you turned on the black lights...still on the walls today. One of my old friends had the walls of his first apartment covered with those things...1988.

wow. They are so amazing.

but this also brings back memories of the exhibit I saw at the Toronto Textile Museum. The artist used moths etc. to create "wallpaper" patterns. Literally walls full of them. Rooms full. It was rather horrifying......

Edited to add the artist's website.

lienluu said:
omg i wouldn't be able to sleep with all those butterflies on the wall. i am deathly afraid of butterflies. Nice collection though!

I used to have a collection of butterfly & bugs that I got from the store in SOHO called EVOLUTION
One day I read a feng shui book by Lillian Too.:eek:
I gave away my collection the next day to peoples who do not believe in feng shui

I have a few weird things I collect also.....I've always wanted to have butterflies and bugs mounted to display.

Only weird thing on the walls besides the sterile-white-paint look.

100_1750.jpg

Top to bottom: Indian Archery Deerslayer, Bear Grizzly, Bear Apache (my sons).
Dont hunt, just target shoot for fun and relaxation. Local range has targets out in the woods, making you walk the trails. I think there are 18 targets (holes)...redneck golf??? Shoulders give me problems, and i dont shoot much anymore. Dont golf either, not because of shoulders, just dont.

dave b said:
Im almost afraid to ask....pictures??

I don't have pictures, but I keep all of the fish that have jumped out of their tanks and committed suicide. Nice and crispy.

dave b said:
Only weird thing on the walls besides the sterile-white-paint look.

100_1750.jpg

Top to bottom: Indian Archery Deerslayer, Bear Grizzly, Bear Apache (my sons).
Dont hunt, just target shoot for fun and relaxation. Local range has targets out in the woods, making you walk the trails. I think there are 18 targets (holes)...redneck golf??? Shoulders give me problems, and i dont shoot much anymore. Dont golf either, not because of shoulders, just dont.
Those are fascinated (Are they modern bows? I thought native americans used more primitive looking bows).

Hien said:
Those are fascinated (Are they modern bows? I thought native americans used more primitive looking bows).

These are modern (one from the 50-60's another from the 70-80's). They are traditional style recurve bows. No sights. Wood / fiberglass laminate.

Native Americans and other peoples around the world, used more primitive bows. Though some were more advanced than others.

That's very nice! I collect insects myself, though not as much now. I've been on some crazy collecting trips in South & Latin America & Australia. Here I am with a morpho

That's a photo of me in French Guyana that a friend of mine has on his website. I'm holding a Morpho rhetenor. You can click the photo to go to his site

Nice catch there Marty!
....I thought about getting all the professional equiptment, but I just use ordinary items to catch and spread butterflies and I use the freezer, and I did that for only one summer when the painted ladies decided to raid the city! I read if you squeeze the thorax and they pop and are paralyzed but I'm scared to do that.
I live in a different house now, near the riverside where there are tons of native butterflies in their natural habitat...I might find time to go out with a net

Anyone who thinks this makes us savage, just understand how plentiful and how short lived they are. They spend most of their lives in as larvae, and many of the tropical butterflies that are 'farmed' and sold to us helps preserve their natural habitat because the butterflies cannot exist without the natural rainforests. This tropical butterfly industry cannot exist without the rainforest

Latest posts

Back