Weird mould/webbing on my phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinerr

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Some of my newly-purchased phrags, but one in particular, seem to be plagued by some sort of mould or webbing that develops in the medium, and has an unpleasant odour. Initially, I did not pay much attention to this, and put it down to a new brand of sphagnum moss I was trying out, but after several months I am sure it is coming from the plant. I tried to spray the roots of the plant with various substances, including fungicide and a mix of rubbing alcohol and water, but to no effect. Do you know what this may be?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8C34BEF3-C893-4CBA-B56A-567DD9F1672E.jpeg
    8C34BEF3-C893-4CBA-B56A-567DD9F1672E.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 101BC8E9-5368-4C01-815C-FFBAF965C868.jpeg
    101BC8E9-5368-4C01-815C-FFBAF965C868.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 17
Mold growing on decomposing organic matter, which can include roots. How recently was it taken out of the sphagnum and put into that (LECA-based?) medium?

Hi Ray, thank you for your response. The plant has been in that medium for a couple of weeks only, prior to that it was bare-rooted for a few weeks, in an attempt to control the issue. At this stage, I have repotted the plant at least three times, in different media (it was in bark before), and I am almost sure the medium is not the problem. Whatever this is, it seems to survive on the roots of the plant even without medium.

Last edited:
Looks like aged snow mold. Not sure any negative effects other than being unsightly. I have seen plants that were raised in Hawaii but sold here in New York having this issue.

Latest posts

Back