Website Update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We added an interesting flask: Phrag. Finetianum (Cardinale 'Birchwood' AM/AOS x caudatum 'Fox Valley' AM/AOS. This hybrid was registered in 1895 (!) by F. Finet but there are no photos or drawings of the flower at the time or since the registration.. There is, however, a description of the flower on page 102 of the 1895 Orchid Review which is intriguing. See the Fox Valley Orchids website for the full description. One flask available. Also Phrag. Robert-Jan Quene' seedlings are back in stock, along with Paph. gigantifolium.

Last edited:
Interesting! Can't wait to see what comes of it.

Tom, you don't have a FV Fireball X kovachii cooking, do you? I have a Fireball from you out of the BL 'Select' X RD 'Fox Valley' cross that has always been 9.5-10 cm in NS and is always pretty purplish in color (I call it raspberry rose). I have talked to Jerry and Jason Fischer about crossing this with a good kovachii but we haven't done it yet. I think it must be the particular Barbara LeAnn that is keeping the color more purple. All of the other Fireballs I have seen online have been pretty red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Terry,

We bloomed a couple Phrag. (FVF x kovachii) seedlings, but typical of most first blooming Pk hybrids, I wasn't very impressed, but we're going to withhold judgment until we bloom them again. I think there's a photo of the first one to bloom in Olaf's Phrag. book and I am attaching photo of the second one to bloom for us.

Bob,

Just checked and had no problem getting on the FVO site and accessing the catalog. Anyone else having problems? Sometimes it's slow to load.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. and your patience. I've already contacted our online catalog/shopping cart provider, bluegenesis, for their help. This is getting to be a pain with these people! If we continue to have these problems, please email your order to: [email protected] , but don't include any credit card info. I'll call you for that information, so I will need a contact phone number. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Tom, assuming that color is "true" on my screen, it is getting right out to where my Fireball is to start with. That made me think that we might be able to get an even more purple one crossing it with PK.

I assume you didn't name/register the cross given your lukewarm response?

I agree that a bunch of these PK hybrids look similar. I think the besseae that is in the mix is critical (plus of course the PK). It isn't available for sale, but I have seen several first blooms of a new Fritz Shomberg at Orchids Limited made using besseae 'Rob's Choice 4N' and a really good PK and the shape is amazing and the size of the bloom was outstanding for the size of the first bloom plants. I know that Jerry wants to watch all of the cross bloom out before deciding what to do. As triploids, maybe they can't be bred with and are just outstanding to have on their own.

I do intend to name/register the cross, but not until I see a second blooming. Interesting story about OL - that besseae 'Rob's Choice' is potent breeding material, but they really need a 4N kovachii (assuming Jerry doesn't already have one.) Interesting stuff.....

Jerry thinks that 'Tesoro Morado' is a 4N by several different criteria, but they haven't done the chromosome counting. Is there a tetraploid FV Fireball?

I have bloomed an Acker's Superstar 4N X PK 'Tesoro Morado' and it was a nice size and shaped flower (registered as Super Nova) but don't know that I could tell that it was tetraploid. I think the Acker's Superstar was colchicine converted, which is probably what would have to be done with FV Fireball?

Terry,

Jerry should be able to determine whether 'Tesoro Morado is a tetraploid by doing a chromosome count, unless that was only done by Robert? I don't have a 4N Fox Valley Fireball and most if not all our Phrag. breeding has been 2N x 2N, because I'm trying to avoid the "toothy-ness" that's seen in many polyploidy Phrag. flowers. The down-side, of course, is as we move down through several generations, we lose a lot of seedling production.

Latest posts

Back