water plants...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
a blue waterlily.. probably a nymphaea zanzibarensis hybrid..
IMG_0928.jpg

it has overwhelmed the other waterlilies... i have to replant it soon..
IMG_0929.jpg

lotus plant (nelumbo nucifera).. the flowers of this variety are huge..! the diameter is nearly 1 foot.. the bud:
lotus.jpg

full bloom:
lotus1.jpg

a nocturnal blooming waterlily.. i think it is nymphaea lotus var. rubra. the flowers smell of dragonfruit..
1st night blooming:
rubra.jpg

2nd night/day:
rubra1.jpg

another waterlily. this white one is probably nymphaea pubescens.. it has a bitter, medicine-like smell.. also night-blooming..
pubescens.jpg

They are very nice, and such lovely colors. Blue is my favorite color.

At one time I had a small fish and lily pond. It always surprised me in the spring when, after being frozen almost solid all winter, they survive and bloom again.

How deep is your pond? I just installed two ponds in my greenhouse, and I'd like to put a water-lily in. But my ponds are only ~14" deep.

Your pink varieties look very similar to mine. Unfortnately mine have gotten smaller every year because my koi nose them out of the pots and I believe nibble at the roots. I had no idea koi can be so destructive to water plants, but they are!

At first I was thinking that someone has a nice garden to visit. But when you said they're yours I was more than impressed. It's nice you have such natural wonders so close to home. :)

thanks for the comments, guys... as can be seen in the second pic, all of them are in a large plastic 'tub'..Rob, the tub which i use is about 4 feet in height and 4 feet in diameter.. but waterlilies do not really need such deep water.. the water level must be at least 1.5 feet in depth for them to grow well... they take full sun...

Hmmm, 2'X2'X3.1415x4' = 50.26 cubic ft X 7.48 g/cf=375.97gallons X 8.41 Lbs/gall=3,161.95 Lbs/2000Lbs/ton=1.58 Tons. Nahhh, I don't think I'll try it! :poke:

Latest posts

Back