Wasabi!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive had an interest in growing odd plants for a long time. Ive been into sushi or sashimi for a good while, and a few years ago I saw a Japanese tv station which would do little documentaries about in country subjects of interest and they had one on a wasabi grower producing them on the side of a mountain stream! Id seen somewhere very basic info about where real wasabi would grow and how it was a very carefully protected secret. It was fascinating seeing it grow in the wild!

A few years ago I did a google search and found growers in British Columbia and nearby United States and how they were promoting to others how to grow it all around the world, and were willing to sell starter plugs. One grower was using a trickle floor or something like that and growing it in pots, and a few people were trying it at home.

A few weeks ago I had the google bug again and this same producer is selling tubers for eating, and selling individual seedlings to whoever would like them. I bought some for myself and a few people, and they arrived yesterday!

515160897b738badf84b88e7aa181d70.jpg

The box! Mysteries await inside...

873e116611225a4598242a4c61bb7097.jpg
Interesting wrap

14b2ff14004f326d670a9735e251d958.jpg

f72209d127cd1aef83868cd0d970801c.jpg

e094c60377f03be52a7f74709766fc02.jpg
Three tubers in the combo pack plus three pots and an ice pack. Presently in the frig until I get some rich om to add to potting soil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please keep us posted on how this experiment goes. I love the stuff but realize that most of what is sold in the US as wasabi in nothing but colored horseradish.
Good luck!

They say their water grown tubers have the same flavor as their soil grown. The Japanese grower in the documentary grew it under a tree in a stream. On their culture paper they say full shade

Http://Www.Thewasabistore.com

‘Remember, lots of water, no direct sunlight, well-drained soil, lots of nutrients.’
(From the website)

Looking forward to reading about your wasabi hybrids in the future. You know it's just a matter of time...

They say their water grown tubers have the same flavor as their soil grown. The Japanese grower in the documentary grew it under a tree in a stream. On their culture paper they say full shade

‘Remember, lots of water, no direct sunlight, well-drained soil, lots of nutrients.’
(From the website)

interesting, I always thought wasabi is just mustard with green color, didn't know that it is actually a separate thing.
Do you know for sure it will grow in New Jersey, and survive winter ? or is it an annual that you will have to replant every year ?

On their website they say it survives in their garden in the Pacific Northwest and is hardy to 27ish, but it will have some damage. Maybe if you heavily cover it or have a cold frame of some sort. It seems well suited to be grown indoors, happy range is 40-70 and not much light. Outdoors it would need heat protection as well
I think most wasabi is horseradish and dye, but I’ve seen some that lists being a mix of wasabi and horseradish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(From the website)

I used to grow real wasabi for a few years in Indiana. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually quite easy to grow. It's just hard to get it to have a really high quality flavor without ideal conditions. I was able to get fresh rhizomes from a Japanese market in Chicago (Mitsuwa) and sprout them in damp towels in the fridge.

You want to keep them very wet, cool, and in fairly deep shade.

I grew mine in a course mix of sand, perlite, peat, and gravel with a top coating of gravel. I had them in terracotta pots that sat in saucers of water to submerge the bottom inch or so of the pot. These were put outside in shade. Make sure to keep an eye on the water level and/or water them very frequently. Having them sit in a little water helps keep the pots cool though.

They grow quite quickly.

Also, remember that the leaves and flowers are also edible and delicious! I used to cut off a bunch of fresh wasabi leaves and throw them in my summer salads. The leaves aren't quite as pungent as the rhizome, but have a pleasant tang that really livens things up!

Best of luck to you! :)

Good post! and thanks to Xiphius for the firsthand growing tips.

Latest posts

Back