1. Good day. If you cannot log in please use the CONTACT US at the bottom of the page to get help. If you are logged in and do not want the ads, please click on the Little Person icon to get user control panel. At the bottom of Preferences is the opt out area used to turn them off. Remember to save changes. More information in the Talk Back! Forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Warm mist humidifier

Discussion in 'Slipper Orchid Culture' started by Duck Slipper, Mar 14, 2019.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Mar 14, 2019 #1

Duck Slipper

Duck Slipper

Duck Slipper

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a "Warm Mist Humidifier". It cost $28 dollars at WalMart. When it is cold and the furnace runs in the house humidity gets down to 40% or so. After using this humidifier for 6 weeks, it works great. I basically have orchids growing in two rooms, so I went and bought another one. It has 2 settings low and high. On high if doors are closed The humidity will get up over 80%. It will fog the windows. But run it on low with doors closed or high with doors vented open and keep it 65-70%. It has a heating element that periodically needs to be cleaned, but I prefer the steam it emits to a cool mist humidifier. Little humidifier does a good job and I haven't noticed an increase in electric bill. Duck

2. Mar 15, 2019 #2

CarlG

CarlG

CarlG

It'll last longer if you use distilled or reverse osmosis water.

3. Mar 15, 2019 #3

Duck Slipper

Duck Slipper

Duck Slipper

Certainly true, it puts over a gallon of water in the air in 12 hours on high, distilled would be a expense in a months time. I've been thinking about an RO unit though.

4. Mar 16, 2019 #4

spujr

spujr

spujr

I've started using the same thing (Also putting in RO water) in my orchid grow tent in my garage. It's a bit cool (62f) all year round where I am so the little extra heat from the mister I think helps. With it I get the RH up to 98% from 60%. So much easier to setup, manage, and use than a pressurised misting system, but obviously good in small growing environments.

Duck Slipper likes this.
  5. Mar 17, 2019 #5

abax

abax

abax

I keep three humidifiers in my greenhouse and a small fountain as well (just
    for the sound of running water really) and my Rh stays at about 90% 24-7
    and my Phrags. love it.

Duck Slipper likes this.
  6. Mar 24, 2019 at 8:59 PM #6

masaccio

masaccio

masaccio

I love my warm mist humidifier. The cool mist was a disaster with the white dust. The warm mist needs weekly (more or less) maintenance which I don't mind doing at all, given the benefits. Just takes a gallon of vinegar every now and then, which lasts for several cleanings. As you mentioned, sometimes the problem is too much humidity, window fogging, condensation. This is much more easily managed than not enough humidity. I guess my success story is keeping a miltoniopsis happy for the several weeks involved in spike development and a beautiful blooming. It's been in bloom at least for three weeks, no stress at all. I can hardly believe it. And moist air carries fragrance wonderfully so when I open that door it's like a little bit of heaven. My only caveat with my model is that it needs filling 2-3 times day (I go between high and low depending on the time of day, and run it at night too - it's in my bedroom and I like not having super dry air in winter). All that is okay, but I imagine doing this with two units and I'm a little hesitant. RO water would be nice, but if you're hesitant about the waste (I'm on a well and don't like the waste ratio), the weekly vinegar treatment does the job. I guess if you love loving your orchids, it would be okay.