• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: specimen-sized species plants for research

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAAlbert

Reaction score
Hello all:

I have been putting out feelers to companies about the possibility of buying some specimen-sized Paph species plants for research.

If any of you have such available, please let me know.

FYI, I am the co-descriptor of Mexipedium, and have published several scientific works on slipper orchids.

Thanks,

Victor Albert
(Prof. University at Buffalo)

I agree with Heather contacting the Slipper vendors might be the way to go to find what you are looking for, although many of them use them as display plants for shows. It is worth a try.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of research are you considering?

Hi all:

I've been contacting a bunch of vendors, with a couple of potential hits so far on large-ish plants. Still looking.

Among other things, these days I work on molecular aspects of reproductive development in various flowering plants. The cut-flower Gerbera has been a large focus, but I have interest in going back to some ideas I had on slipper orchids years ago during my molecular systematics days. My interest has always been to try to understand the molecular basis of large morphological differences among species that are very closely related. Among the Barbata Paphs, for example, DNA sequence divergence is very small, yet morphological differences can be great. The same holds true in some other Paph groups studied. Technologies these days permit characterization of massive quantities (millions of bases) of DNA sequence, but early-stage reproductive tissues are buried inside growths well before a bulge is noticed. Once interesting genes are discovered, it's often important to study their detailed expression patterns as inflorescences and buds develop, hence the need for material around. So I'm thinking, and might do more depending on availability and cost.

All best,

Vic.

Hi, good luck. On eBay if you search "Orchid, Specimen" you will find some, I don't think paphs though. Also do the same at Andy's Orchids.

Very Interesting, I hope you find materials to work with! Don't tell my advisor....but that makes my rose diversity project look boring by comparison :)

OK, smaller plants are OK too

Smaller than true specimen plants may be OK too --

Parvisepalums and Brachypetalums especially interesting, though would like to hear from any of you about any species with multiple growths for sale:)

best wishes,

Vic.

Latest posts

Back