Wales - some photos from 2006

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition of the thread of David (monocotman) Paphs on their travels here few photos of our trvel to Wales in 2006.
Tintern Abbey
1250_07_31_Tintern Abbey_Wales 06.JPG

Ystradfellte Waterfalls
1369_08_03_Ystradfellte Waterfalls_Wales 06.JPG

St.Davies-Whitesands Bay
1401_08_05_Wanderung St.Davies-Whitesands Bay_Wales 06.JPG

St.Davies-Solva
1436_08_06_Wanderung St.Davies-Solva_Wales 06.JPG

Drive St.Davies - Caernarfon
1451_St.Davies - Caernarfon_Wales 06.JPG

1455_08_07_St.Davies - Caernarfon_Wales 06.JPG

1466_08_07_St.Davies - Caernarfon_Wales 06.JPG

1469_08_07_St.Davies - Caernarfon_Wales06.JPG

1470_08_07_St.Davies - Caernarfon_Wales 06.JPG

Last edited:
When the sun is shining, Wales is a very beautiful place!
Indeed it is. The landscape is very scenic and diversified.
Looks lovely..........how often is the sun shining?
We were there 3 weeks in early August 2006 and .... maybe this was an exception....we had no rainy day. There were dark clouds in the sky and sometimes heavy wind, maybe a short shower .... I took photos every day .... but there is no rain documented in my photos.

My experience of England is that once you get out the city into the country side it is a very beautiful place -- even if the sun isn't out.

It is good to see photos of Wales. I know the coast is very scenic. It is good to see photos that are not for some tourist blog or the like but taken by "real" people.

Thanks

Very á propos, the poignant 2nd verse of the beautiful Welsh national anthem:

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd;
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd,
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si,
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

(Old land of the mountains, paradise of the poets,
Every valley, every cliff a beauty guards;
Through love of my [your] country, enchanting voices will be
Her streams and rivers to me.)

I loved that melody - and the country, since my high school choir participated in the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod more than 40 years ago! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇩🇰

Last edited:
And Cornwall and North Devon too. I'm very jealous of David moving to Cornwall!
I had a friend in Cornwall who would send lovely photos of the area. Hence my curiosity for Wales. I think most of us have seen parts of Devon through Doc Martin or Broadchurch. Shetland was good too for stories and scenery. Death in Paradise is nice watch too but kind of got a bit much when Father Dougal took on the job of inspector.

David, I'll be quite interested in your experience growing orchids in Wales. I'm doing research concerning a move
to Peebles, Scotland. I'm very curious about climate.
I had an aunt in Peebles. Had a big manor house: Hallyards. The black dwarf out front. It was cold. She would spend winters in South Africa. All her kids went to warmer climes. Keeping a green house warm in KY would be much cheaper.

Last edited:
...or his minions. I wasn't planning a greenhouse in Peebles. Just windowsill growing on a modest scale.
Exactly right Jens! It's getting very scary here. The next two elections will be the test of just where the
US is going politically.

David, I'll be quite interested in your experience growing orchids in Wales. I'm doing research concerning a move
to Peebles, Scotland. I'm very curious about climate.
Angela, what I can say from my own experience is .... Cornwall is the place on the British Island with the mildest climate, due to the Gulf Stream (as long as it will be running). My own experience ...... no because I spent there 2 weeks in summer 2005 but by the plants I saw there growing. Wales is similar, at least the regions at the costal line. The farest place north where I was was the Hadrians Wall close to the border to Scotland, so I never was in Scotland myself. But it's is said that the climate in Scotland is rough compared to Cornwall and in the easter parts of Sctland is the influence of the Gulf Stream really low but the influence of the North Sea much bigger.

If there is any interest I could also show some photos of the wild dramatic coast of South England beginning from Sussex until Cornwall and if of interest of the scenic landscape of the Lake District.

I'd like to see your photos Rudolf. I haven't seen much of England. I travelled from France directly to Scotland and
bypassed England. The Isle of Giga interests me as well.

Back