Quantcast

Walaenopsis (Warning: Larger Photos!)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Here is what I call my 'Walaenopsis' -- the noid fragrant white multifloral Phalaenopsis I purchased at Walmart last year for under $10usd. I thought it was pretty in the store, so I brought it home with the sole intention of using it as a living bouquet until the flowers had died. The buds continued to open after I brought it home, and much to my surprise the flowers gave off a light sweet lemony fragrance on bright mornings and early afternoons. There is no scent or sometimes a faint odor of burnt matches during the remaining hours of the day. Once it had finished blooming, I kept the plant out of guilt and coercion inflicted on me by family members. :eek: This year with a little TLC it has bloomed again. Currently there are 30 flowers open. They are white yet blushed with shades of pink and yellow, and the magenta-red and gold patterened centers make for a strking contrast. The fragrance is the icing on the cake, and I've decided that I rather like this plant. I think I'll keep it! :clap:

H

Hera

They generally get dependable bloomers, I've gotten several that way, even won some show ribbons on them. Its just a shame they have to be noid. We can guess, but we'll never know. Nice blooms!!

N

nikv

Why get rid of a plant that blooms like that? It shouldn't matter that it doesn't have a proper ID as long as it keeps blooming like that one! Appreciate it for what it is - a good bloomer that's perfect for your coffee table, if not the award table.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Some shows have a category for NOIDs. Too bad, though -- not only pretty, but unusual coloring. And fragrant!

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You made me laugh about the part of the living bouquet, since that is common practice here in Japan - are you sure you're not Japanese?
:rollhappy: In my heart I am half Japanese, half French. :p

Very lovely contrasting colors and that red is just over the top!
The photos are spot-on for color accuracy! :) The more I look at this plant each day, the more impressed I have become with it!

tim

Reaction score
look up the name by matching pix on anthura or floricultura's websites? there are some that kinds look like it on floricultura under phals - minis - redlips

Latest posts