Wƶssner Vietnam Love

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking but I wonder how long that flower will last. A little off subject, but it seems like there is not many magic lanterns for sale these days.
Is vietnamense known for short-lived flowers? I know Ho Chi Minh is known for that and delenatii last for good one month.
This particular flower has been open for three weeks now and there is no sign of wilting yet.
I also have a vietnamense x leucochilum in bloom for over 6 weeks now.

Magic Lantern was around on eBay as well as off-line market in 2019. I saw a couple for sale in the last few months.
I'm sure they will be around again.

Nothing wrong with this one. Is the foliage similar to Magic Lantern?

Basically, yes. I have three seedlings of this cross and they all look more like micranthum with long narrow leaves compared to my Magic Lantern plants which have significantly wider (One Magic Lantern in particular is both wide and long like a giant delenatii but with micranthum patterns) leaves.
One other seedling has slightly undulating leaf edge with gloss on the surface like vietnamense.

It has a nice and strong colouration and also the shape is good.

As far as I know the flower lasts ca. 3 weeks, longer should be the exception.
Thanks.
So, vietnamense can last quite long in bloom, then.
I have a couple of other vietnamense primary hybrids that have been in bloom for well over one month now.
Always stayed away from the species as I thought they were all short-lived in bloom.

Mine lasted 3-4 weeks
But HCM less than 2 weeks (boo)

Good to know!
I have bloomed a few HCM and they barely last 3 days once fully open before tiny brown spots start to appear.
The one I've kept lasted about ten days on its first bloom and I'm curious to find out how long it will last on its second bloom.
I have a first bloom seedling of HCM in bud at the moment. will be interesting to see how long this one will last in bloom but I'm not that hopeful.
It seems then mixing of vietnamense and delenatii somehow causes the genetic issues that lead to the progenies having much shorter flower life span.

Good to know!
I have bloomed a few HCM and they barely last 3 days once fully open before tiny brown spots start to appear.
The one I've kept lasted about ten days on its first bloom and I'm curious to find out how long it will last on its second bloom.
I have a first bloom seedling of HCM in bud at the moment. will be interesting to see how long this one will last in bloom but I'm not that hopeful.
It seems then mixing of vietnamense and delenatii somehow causes the genetic issues that lead to the progenies having much shorter flower life span.
I wonder why HCMs suffer such short flower lifespan. I have one in spike with 2 buds. Perhaps I am going to try to keep it in cooler nights after opening to see what will happen.

LeslieeEe- Yeah, that is truly a mystery. Genetic crash of some sort, perhaps? Who knows?!
10days for HCM is about the most I've heard, but that includes the entire duration from flower opening and dropping.
I only count the duration where the flower fully opened which takes about two three days from the point it starts to open up, and the before the brown spots begin to appear. I bet one week might be a record.
Let's see how yours fare this time around.
I also have one in bud and another one just coming into spike.

Back