Wössner China Moon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
1A594C10-B038-4B0A-8599-B0F59C94FB42.jpeg

Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon (hangianum x armeniacum) has to be among my favorites!
A few including this 4th seedling to bloom have all been very good.
These are also mildly fragrant, which is nice.
Also, I just love sunny yellow flowers 😍
Uploaded the photo directly from my phone.

Last edited:
very beautiful.
is it bigger than armeniacum ? how much bigger? is it scented like the hangianum parent ?

very beautiful.
is it bigger than armeniacum ? how much bigger? is it scented like the hangianum parent ?

I would say they are midway between the two parents. Definitely larger than typical armeniacum. Longer and wider leaves.
I do have one with short leaves but then the width is much greater than typical armeniacum.
The scent is similar to hangianum. All the hanginaum primary hybrids I have bloomed share this same base scent. The best smelling one has been Shun-Fa Golden (hangianum x malipoense) where sweet citrus tone is very much pronouced. I guess that comes from malipoense influence.

Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon (hangianum x armeniacum) has to be among my favorites!
Happy, you have so convincingly argued the case for this cross, that you have lead me into temptation and further down the slipper(y) slope. As I'm so very tired of not having any success with flowering my pure armeniacum, I thought 'what the heck', let me try my luck with this very beautifull hybrid.
I've bought a well established young plant - hopefully I will be able to keep it alive untill flowering (and beyond, of course!).
If it turns out like anything close to your splendiferous clone, I'll count myself a very happy man! :p
(Whilst slipping, I also got myself a young plant of respectively Norito Hasegawa and Shun-Fa-Golden).

It seems as many of us love yellow flowers and I add myself to the list.
Your China Moon Is just beautiful.
Still waiting for mine (China and Norito) to bloom for the first time in my GH hope very soon!

Happy, you have so convincingly argued the case for this cross, that you have lead me into temptation and further down the slipper(y) slope. As I'm so very tired of not having any success with flowering my pure armeniacum, I thought 'what the heck', let me try my luck with this very beautifull hybrid.
I've bought a well established young plant - hopefully I will be able to keep it alive untill flowering (and beyond, of course!).
If it turns out like anything close to your splendiferous clone, I'll count myself a very happy man! :p
(Whilst slipping, I also got myself a young plant of respectively Norito Hasegawa and Shun-Fa-Golden).
Welcome to the other side! haha just kidding.
I have to say this cross and (hangianum x leucochilum) have to be among my favorites.
The parents involved blend so well in these hybrids and the good progenies look so appealing to me. And they grow and bloom much better than the parents. Well, at least the handful that I have tried so far.

If you've got a small plant of Shun-Fa Golden, it may take a looooong time. Norito Hasegawa will grow up and bloom rather fast most of the time. Good luck with them! Congrats! :)

I can agree that Paph. Wössner China Moon is one of the best Parvi-crosses. I had the good luck to see the first one, when it opens the flower in the nursery of Franz Glanz in Unterwössen in the south of Germany. Here one example of this cross together with Franz and another one seen in Taiwan. Sometimes the flowers are so big like hangianum.

Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Franz' GM 2015 c mit Franz Glanz.jpg Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Franz' GM 2015 - hangianum X armeniacum  a 1.jpg
Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Franz' GM/DOG 2015

Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Golden Sunlight' Taiwan 2017 a.jpg
Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Golden Sunlight'
Taiwan Show 2017 a

Re: your armeniacum, I’m curious. Are you keeping it from drying out? High light? Did you/can you chill it out for a month in autumn?

I can agree that Paph. Wössner China Moon is one of the best Parvi-crosses. I had the good luck to see the first one, when it opens the flower in the nursery of Franz Glanz in Unterwössen in the south of Germany. Here one example of this cross together with Franz and another one seen in Taiwan. Sometimes the flowers are so big like hangianum.

View attachment 32923 View attachment 32924
Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Franz' GM/DOG 2015

View attachment 32925
Paphiopedilum Wössner China Moon 'Golden Sunlight'
Taiwan Show 2017 a
Thank you for the wonderful photos, Olaf!

Re: your armeniacum, I’m curious. Are you keeping it from drying out? High light? Did you/can you chill it out for a month in autumn?
I will try to give it a cool periode next autumn/ winter! It seems to grow well, though, so that's at least an indication of that not all I do is utterly wrong, even if it wears my patience a bit thin!

If you've got a small plant of Shun-Fa Golden, it may take a looooong time. Norito Hasegawa will grow up and bloom rather fast most of the time. Good luck with them! Congrats! :)
20220312_193532.jpg
Wössner China Moon, 21 cm across; Norito Hasegawa 16 cm across; Shun-Fa Golden, 12 cm across (i.e. from tip to tip). I'll probably have to muster more than a bit of patience!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back