Wössner China Moon & Friend

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a total novice when growing paphs. I have an album delenatii that I had thought would bloom this Spring,looks like I my thought was wrong. Are they more difficult to bloom than delenatii vinicolor?

Yellows are my favourites. Last year my China Moon sent up a spike and when it was about 6" tall the bud blasted for no reason that I could figure out. Can anyone shed any light on that? Chalk it up to being a first bloom? The plant now has two new growths that are growing well so hopefully it'll have better luck next time.

I’m a total novice when growing paphs. I have an album delenatii that I had thought would bloom this Spring,looks like I my thought was wrong. Are they more difficult to bloom than delenatii vinicolor?
All forma album paphs as far as I know, are more deliberate growers than their normally coloured counterparts. The fact you really need to know regarding Paph. delenatii is that it is not in need of calcium at all, unlike most other species. Oyster shell or limestone in the compost will be detrimental, not helpful. I have had the best results growing delenatii in either straight sphagnum moss or a mixture of moss and fine bark.

I have only one album delenatii. Mine grows and blooms without issues. I have read quite a few other people's story about all forms of delenatii. This species regardless of their color forms, is generally a easy one. ;)

Yellows are my favourites. Last year my China Moon sent up a spike and when it was about 6" tall the bud blasted for no reason that I could figure out. Can anyone shed any light on that? Chalk it up to being a first bloom? The plant now has two new growths that are growing well so hopefully it'll have better luck next time.

If you don't see any pest like thrips or scales, and your plant didn't experience drastic changes in temperature, then, I would say bud blasting just happens sometimes. I hope it will give you two flowers when those new growths mature in the near future.

Both beauties... and the delenatii seems to be of quite nice size, when seen next to the Moon!
That delenatii is actually quite small. The "Moon" looks large because the floral segments are big and round. The natural spread is only about 11cm.

Ah, that makes sense... not half-moon, but a small-moon... But, never the less: a beautifull and very well propotioned one! :)

I have one with a tiny but nearly perfectly round one. Not too crazy about it. I have some more "moons" I'm waiting to see flowers on, but for now, I'm very happy with this one! :)

Latest posts

Back