Visitor from the forrest

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice.
East coast feral pigs are just plain nasty.

In Florida(maybe elsewhere), they are chased and cornered with pitbulls.
Then hog tied and brought back to pen up for a couple of weeks.
The caught pigs are fed grain to make them tastier. Then slaughtered.

Nice.
East coast feral pigs are just plain nasty.

In Florida(maybe elsewhere), they are chased and cornered with pitbulls.
Then hog tied and brought back to pen up for a couple of weeks.
The caught pigs are fed grain to make them tastier. Then slaughtered.

They hunt and kill them with dogs here too, loads of them. I am not sure, but I think this one is spared because she is known in the neighborhood and fed by more than a few people. The ones here that are hunted and eaten are not penned and fed grain to my knowledge. A good part of their diet(on this part of the island) consists of guavas, roots, and an occasional avocado or fruit that grows in the forest...

They're cute as can be at this stage, but trouble could be brewin'.
How many litters a year could she have? 4 now X ___ = way too many pigs!

Cool pictures, and the piglets are quite cute. But doesn't Hawaii have problems with pigs destroying native vegetation? I know you indicated this particular pig isn't feral, but from the effect that's made on the environment, is there much of a practical difference between feral pigs and those that (like this one) are descended from the original animals that were brought with the first Polynesians settlers?

Found out today the pig family is no longer with us. Apparently they were digging up one of the neighbors gardens and they had someone come in and got rid of them. I was told that they were put down in a humane way and are destined for the dinner plate.

I agree with Trithor!
As much as I love pork chops,baby back ribs,roasted suckling pig and just about everything edible out of these noble animals,hunting them down with dogs is very wrong. There are long rifles for hunting as long as the weapon holder is a good shot,any other form is simply torture.

Dogs are the most efficient way to cull feral pigs. Besides, one wants to feed them grain to make them tastier.
Pigs are filthy farm animals. I know, I've washed them for 4-H shows.

Falconry is noble. Back in the day it was the sport of kings.
In case one is not familiar with falconry, it is a form of hunting that uses a trained animal to take the game, instead of using a gun.

btw, I've heard some really good jokes about sheep farmers. LOL!!!

:D

Latest posts

Back