Visitor from the forrest

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limuhead

Early yesterday morning I was feeding the dog and this 'wild' pig came right up to me in the front yard. She lives in the forest reserve a 1/2 block away. I gave her some dog food, a few good scratches on the back(which she loved, tail wagging and the whole bit), and sent her on her way...

:clap::clap: I agree Dido!
Actually 'wild' ? Maybe escaped? The damage they can do to the flora, I like animals but feral pigs don't do much for me.

We don't have wild pigs around here...

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

:clap::clap: I agree Dido!
Actually 'wild' ? Maybe escaped? The damage they can do to the flora, I like animals but feral pigs don't do much for me.

Not feral, but a descendant of the pigs that were brought by the original settlers of the islands. There are quite a few of them. This one used to run around with 4 or 5 others, but the rest of them disappeared right before graduation for the local High School. The boars get pretty good size, about 250 pounds or so, not much bigger.

If a pig is anything like a cat, you feeding it will mean it will now become a permanent resident and will spend lazy days (pretty much every day) curled up on your couch (in particular, the couch you don't want pets on).

Bacon, still on the hoof.

Pit roasted pork, yum

as I like to describe deer, walking meat locker

it is harder, though to think of shooting the deer who are always in my back, front and side yards every day and I watch from the upper windows (including the fox that runs through the fields about every four days or so early evening looking for dinner) :) * a note, these deer don't eat any of my plants and if I had fruit trees or a garden that they invaded, i'd be thinking differently. but, they deer stay away from my veggies and stuff which I can't say about a woodchuck whose time on this earth will soon come to an end if it doesn't steer clear

My tactic for keeping critters out of the garden is feed 'em something else.
We feed all manner of forest critters and they never bother the veggie
garden or my perennials. Well, rabbits like the apples that fall off the
trees, but they're welcome to them. btw, does anyone need apples?
Apple trees are bearing so heavily this year that we can't even give them
away...Gala and Granny Smith.

i'll take some apples...

find someone with a grinder/press and make some cider. last year in upstate ny, the apple harvest was hit by frosted flowers and cider was very expensive and then unavailable (from nearby apples)

We had a bit of wind last night and most of the Galas are on the ground
and have been munched. Grannys aren't ripe yet. These are "organic"
apples so they aren't the perfectly beautiful apples one sees in supermarkets, but they do taste good. I managed to save a few and gave
the rest to our two raccoon youngins' who visit every evening. I've grown
quite attached to the raccoons and the dogs don't even bother to bark at
them anymore...such harmony in the woods of KY!

Older and a bit fatter, and she will make great BBQ steaks and rashers! Maybe if you feed her cumin now, you won't even have to spice her?

Return of the Visitor, and then some...

Well it has been a while since we have seen our friend from the forest. I thought that someone had eaten her; until an hour ago. SHE'S BACK! With a few additions. Still eats out of my hand, the little ones are a bit jumpy, but really cute...

To give a sense of scale in the last picture, the pieces of dog food are slightly smaller than a dime...

Back