Visit to Cameron Highlands

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, K-lite anybody? :poke: Just for info, the owners use a media consisting of fern-root, charcoal and stones. They water 3 or 4 times per week, the collection is shaded from rain with a plastic sheet. Having visited the area personally, it is not as dark as Xavier described in one of his articles ("too dark to even read a newspaper"), but that could be because they just changed the plastic shading. The plants receive fungicide once a month, feeding with a fertilizer made from bean by-products (I don't know the brand name or composition).

So, K-lite anybody? :poke: Just for info, the owners use a media consisting of fern-root, charcoal and stones. They water 3 or 4 times per week, the collection is shaded from rain with a plastic sheet. Having visited the area personally, it is not as dark as Xavier described in one of his articles ("too dark to even read a newspaper"), but that could be because they just changed the plastic shading. The plants receive fungicide once a month, feeding with a fertilizer made from bean by-products (I don't know the brand name or composition).

Is it the same Xavier described? Always wondered how dark that place could have been;). Now it seems well lit, much like our summers up here north:rollhappy:

Super photos!! :drool: Love the specimen plants! I'm adding that Paph. argus with the spots on the dorsal to my want list. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the photos and the potting mix they use!
must have been a great day!

Do you know the day high and night low in this area??

By the way, I think light level Xavier talks about is meant to deceive others? lol way too dark.

Thank you for bringing this up! So they are growing under shade house (not enclosed greenhouse), right? I looked up the location of the nursery, and the elevation of Ringlet, Pahang, Malaysia is 1135m. So it is at the lower end of the Carmeon Highland, right? According to this climate data, max/min temperature is 30/24C (86/75F) year round, and some dry season, but high precipitation most of the time. Does it sound, right? I'm trying to understand how they are growing such beautiful plants.

Great pics. It looks like you enjoyed yourself. I have visited Penang quite a few times myself.

Someone asked about how paphs shown in another of my old threads (FOMOS local show) were grown in Cameron Highlands, so *bump*

thank you! I missed the first post too so much appreciated.

Thank you for bringing this up! So they are growing under shade house (not enclosed greenhouse), right? I looked up the location of the nursery, and the elevation of Ringlet, Pahang, Malaysia is 1135m. So it is at the lower end of the Carmeon Highland, right? According to this climate data, max/min temperature is 30/24C (86/75F) year round, and some dry season, but high precipitation most of the time. Does it sound, right? I'm trying to understand how they are growing such beautiful plants.

Hi, yes that sounds about right. The location is towards the lower end of Cameron Highlands / Bertam Valley. It is usually misty in the mornings, and quite thick mists occur after rains.

Latest posts

Back