Visit at Marriott Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well last Friday Donna and I got up at 5 AM and left for the 4 hour trip to go visit my friend Hadley. It was the worst drive to date to go visit him. It rained very heavy for most of the trip both there and back. We saw a tree uprooted and across the opposite side of the highway. The fire department was on the scene cutting it up and trying to remove it. We also saw a tractor trailer that jack knifed, two cars that had left the roadway and crashed as well as the car in front of us, go up an embankment while attempting to entry a highway. Upon arrival, Hadley wasn't there and the greenhouse was locked. We called and he arrived in 5 minutes or so. It was raining so hard, that it was hard to talk in the greenhouse. The rain was just banging so hard on the greenhouse plastic. It was also very dark inside the greenhouse. As usual I had Hadley just pull some plants for me to review and take or decline. I usually take all that he pulls, but this time I knew it was more than I had planned on spending. Hadley went over every plant in the tray with me and then gave me another tray to pull any of the plants that I didn't want. Naturally, I wanted them all but knew it was to far over to budget. I had him pull all of the duplicates.. That only pulled two out of the tray. At the end of the tray he had the biggest plants. Three of those four plants had two plants in each pot. Naturally, you pay for two plants as well. In total 4 of the pots had two seedling in them. I said total it up and will see. He gave me a price up to the last row and then including the last row. The last row plants where larger than he has ever offered me. I went outside to get Donna and she said just buy them, so I did with the exception of the two that were already pulled. Hadley is my friend and usually gives me plants that he isn't planning on selling or he will sell only a few plants of that cross. Hadley also buys flasks from other people to bloom out and use for his breeding. This time in that group he offered me 4 plants that fit into that category. I was thrilled with the crosses. All are complex paphs other than a charlesworthii 'Fireworks' x 'Barry's Choice' and stonei 'Marriott Quintessence' x Self. This trip landed me 23 new choice plants. If anyone ever is near Marriott Orchids, you need to call a head and set up an appointment. You'll be glad you did. Here is a photo of my new treasures.

seedlings.jpg

Very interesting story but the part that BURNS in my small mind is the part about asking to buy plants! Is this what a commited relationship brings!?!? :eek: :p Thanks for sharing.

Eric, I don't drive a total of 8 hours on a good sunny day, or 10 in rain just to visit my friend. He knows I'm there to buy plants. As a matter a fact Hadley invited me to come back in Jan. or Feb. to see the greenhouse in full bloom. A business owner doesn't invite you to spend time in his home if he in not a true friend.

It's not about the asking. It's kind of like creeping slowly before launching the big attack. It's best to give a little notice. Been there.....

sounds like a memorable visit nonetheless...

i had an opportunity to get plants of that stonei cross fresh out of flask several years ago. I went with stonei 'Bear' x self which were less expensive...live and learn :)

Sorry Polyantha, but it's just be too much work to give you the name of all of the crosses. Other than the two species, all the rest run the gambit of colors in the complex paphs. From reds, to yellow to pink and even a couple of what I'm expecting will be speckled whites. A real nice variety. None of which are listed on his site.

Last edited:
My strategy is to take a very long time to decide. My wife then usually says, "just get them and let's go." :)

Ernie, you made me smile and had Donna laugh out loud. Donna spent most of the time in the car reading a magazine and listening to the rain pound the roof. I went out and asked Donna more as a courtesy then anything else. She always says yes. However, she does occasionally tell me to slow down in buying orchids and if I know what's good for me, I listen.

You silly people, you can't make the trip in 4 hours from my home to Marriotts. Every May and Sept. I spend a few weeks at a friends condo that we rent at Myrtle Beach. That's how we make the trip in 4 hours. From Albany to the condo, it takes us 15 hours of nonstop driving. We only stop for gas and essentials. We eat both breakfast and lunch in the car. We left at midnight on the Thursday before last. We got in around 3 or 3:30 P.M. on that Friday.

What a weekend! Sun and fun and orchids from Hadley.
I live near Greensboro, just a big hop, skip, and jump from Marriott's.

My personal favorites are his "elfstone" crosses- nice and big flowers. Alas, Hadley no longer comes to the National Capitol Orchid Show in DC (next week). But he still comes to the Paph Forum in in February, along with other shows in the DC area (Virginia Orchid Show in February). Probably one of the best slipper growers/hybridizers on the east coast.

Latest posts

Back