Visit at Marriott Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm never sure where to post my info. Hope this is the spot.

Just got back from visiting Hadley at Marriott Orchids a couple of hours ago. I'm currently on vacation at Myrtle Beach and thought I'd take the 4 hour ride over to visit my friend. He had lots in bud and sheath due to the cooler weather. While there we had a good talk. I had asked Hadley before I arrived to pick out a few nice seedlings for me. After all, he knows the crosses better then anyone. I was even able to get Hadley to sell me a few divisions. If anyone knows Hadley, they know he hates to sell anything. I walked around with him and on one plant I remarked how the flower was nice and he offered to sell me a division. Then I picked out a few more plants that were in bloom and asked about divisions. Many of them were worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars. He finally agreed to sell me another division of a S. Gratrix, which may or not have been of his breeding. He allowed me to pick a clonal name for it. I tried to butter up my wife by using her name. I had also asked Hadley for a division of a nice pink, which he indeed did provide. When it came to pay I tried to trade my wife in ---- that didn't work---- Then I gave him my arm and leg, ONLY KIDDING. He was wonderful to visit and generous to me as well. A wonderful visit!!

He'll also be attending the Paph. Forum in Florida this Nov. if anybody wants to put in a pre-order.

Sorry about going on and on, but I had to tell someone. Donna is wonderful but I'm sure shes tired of hearing me talk about these plants.

Paphioland, One of the first things that Donna had said after seeing the plants in bloom was, "Too bad I don't have my camera" If the flowers survive the trip home Donna will indeed take photos to share with everyone. The S. Gratix is bellatulum 'White Star x leucochilum 'Nikko' SM/JOGA. It is a nice round flower but not flat. Then again I don't know when it opened. The other plant in flower is White Legacy x micranthum. The other thing I must say is that the divisions where a minimum of two full size growths. The S. Gratix is 2 previously bloomed growths and the one in flower. As I stated earlier, Hadley was generous.

Congratulations, Bob. You did very well. I've heard that Hadley won't sell anything until he sees the flower. Is this true?

I've checked out their website a few (hundred) times, my wishlist would require a second mortgage. I'm just starting to appreciate complex Paphs and they have a wicked selection of them. I'm envious of your visit.

Shaun

sounds like the s gratrix came from Nick. Might not be his breeding though.

Dot, that is pretty much the truth. Hadley wants to see most if not all of the flowers that he creates. If after he sees many flowers from one cross and they haven't been as good as expected, he may sell some in 4 inch posts that he hasn't flowered. The only way to get a real winner out of Hadley is to buy his seedlings. Personally, I like the whites and he is now starting to charge more for them. This may be due to the lower percentage of viable flasks per cross. When Hadley thinks he has a real winner of a cross, then he won't release any of the seedlings to the public. On some crosses he release some seedlings and then once the first few bloom and they are promising, then he won't release the rest. His web site only shows a few of his crosses. He has hundreds if not thousands of compots growing out at any particular time. That's why I let him pick my seedlings. Also that I'm a friend and worked for him at the W.O.C. doesn't hurt. Hadley may let me buy a seedling or two that he has very low germination on or one that he feels might be special. Remember, one needs good breeding, but also luck in getting that special plant. I think he chose 13 seedlings for me. The other division that I bought was Via Ojai 'Silvia' HCC/AOS. He provided me that division with a previously bloomed growth, a growth in sheath and a large start.

"Remember, one needs good breeding,"

So, if I'm heir to a fortune, vacation on 'the island', drink tea with my pinkie extended, and always use Grey Poupon then I stand a good chance? :rollhappy:

--Allen--

Back