Virus?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyo_Jo

Catt's Meow
Reaction score
This catt has some pretty suspicious looking dark circles; I'm concerned it's a virus? I know I need to test it for sure, just wondered what you think...

IMG_3298.jpg
IMG_3300.jpg

There are a few others with similar symptoms. But what do I do with the other +/- 150 plants that don't show any symptoms??? Throw them out too? :eek:

Wasn't there a thread a while ago about virus spreading through mites? Maybe you should consider a miticide to be proactive about spread.

I don't/can't use pesticides, miticides, whatever; my orchids are in a spare bedroom in my house. And actually, a more likely vector is thrips. They have been plaguing mainly my phrags, but they do get around and they are known to spread stuff as well.

I'm thinking I need to destroy five or six plants at this point. Dang. :sob:

Thanks for all the input; much appreciated.

looks like textbook virus to me. i would incinerate that plant and dispose of its pot etc.

see critter creek liaboratory for pricing on virus testing for the rest of your collection--they can probably advise on how many plants you should test.

Some of what I've been hearing lately is that virus is everywhere in Catts and alot of Phals.

Many plants show no external symptoms whatsoever. Just like warts, herpes and cancor sores on humans, we don't incinerate humans for such ubiquitous viral infections. So if the plant is important, doesn't produce crippled flowers, or you plan on keeping it to yourself, you shouldn't feel compelled to discard the plant.

There is a huge sink of virus in the comercial orchid world, and the big breeders aren't going to eliminate there collections, so burning your plants isn't going to rid the planet of the problem (just makes more space for you to buy new plants).

Thanks Rick. Yes, I was thinking along your lines actually - the Psychopsis that I posted photos of has a brand new growth with no signs of the black necrotic rings and there's absolutely no sign of virus in the flowers themselves. The affected leaves look yucky though. I hate to pitch it as it's been faithfully blooming non-stop for me since I bought it in 2008.

I may still pitch the cattleya though. It's covered with black rings and I don't really have any special attachment to it.

Some of what I've been hearing lately is that virus is everywhere in Catts and alot of Phals.

Many plants show no external symptoms whatsoever. Just like warts, herpes and cancor sores on humans, we don't incinerate humans for such ubiquitous viral infections. So if the plant is important, doesn't produce crippled flowers, or you plan on keeping it to yourself, you shouldn't feel compelled to discard the plant.

There is a huge sink of virus in the comercial orchid world, and the big breeders aren't going to eliminate there collections, so burning your plants isn't going to rid the planet of the problem (just makes more space for you to buy new plants).

Disagree. Unless it is an exeptional clone most things are replacable. A while back I put many orchids in a glasshouse together with some suspected virused plants and within 2 years many previosly clean plants had become severly infected. I believe mealy bugs and scale were the vectors. If you don't destroy virus plants, you can bet that sooner or later it will find the others. I've seen it happen many times. Now if any plant (especially catts) show two years of those symptoms, they get thrown in the fire. I always flame sterilze between cuts, use new pots and wash hands before touching plants. My collection is pretty clean now.

One can not be 100% certain from just the appearance whether the damage is caused by virus or by a severe thrip and or mite infection. Testing is the only way to know for certain. If you can eliminate the pests, perhaps, if you are lucky, you will find no new necrotic brown spots and patterns. (though indeed it looks like virus to me too)

If you can not spray your plants in the house, maybe there is a way to clean them up by taking them outdoors to spray them. While the plants are outside, all the trays and shelves in the plant room need to be cleaned to eliminate the pests hiding there. Then when you bring in the freshly sprayed plants, the room won't have a resident population of pests to re-infect the collection.

If you can not get the thrips and or mites under control, you will never be able to keep a 'clean' orchid collection. They will spread virus, and secondary bacterial and fungal infections around to all your plants. No matter what spray you use, you will have to follow up and repeat spray at the interval the manufacturer recommends and continue the follow up spraying schedule for at least 2 or 3 intervals after you last see any living thrips, or signs of new damage. It will be work to clean up your collection. It won't suffice to spray just the 'bad' plants, the critters will hide out on the ones you don't spray and re-infect the newly cleaned up plants shortly after they are brought back in the house.

Hope this helps.

Hissssss
Keep that Psychopsis on your side of Canada please!

On a serious note, sorry about your plants.

Back