Virens Spy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... Look what it decided to bloom as lol. My first and only virens (due to pink picotee in petals and shape).

Lovely flower, Leslie 👌 ..but imho Paph. javanicum due to the shape of the dorsal (not so important) and the green pouch (obviously important).... not var. virens. As far as I know and read var. virens has a more brownish pouch.....pink picots have both.

Lovely flower, Leslie 👌 ..but imho Paph. javanicum due to the shape of the dorsal (not so important) and the green pouch (obviously important).... not var. virens. As far as I know and read var. virens has a more brownish pouch.....pink picots have both.
Rudolf, you may be quite right. The petal angle and the subdued pink petal picotee point that way.

Virens is more cruciform (cross) shape and bright pink petal tips on lateral third.

Like Rudolf mentioned, virens is considered a javanicum by WCSP/Kew but I think they should be separated. Flowers of virens are quite distinct and breed true. The two are as similar as callosum to lawrenceanum.
Cool. Since we are talking about javanicum, has anybody seen a “chocolate form” called the “western Java form?” Photo was green, brown and orange.

Latest posts

Back