viniferum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wondered if this is a variety of true species as the petals look so much like sukhakulii hybrid with so many raised spots.
Does anyone know the story??

They’re finicky and sad to say that I have killed a few of these.

A couple (or one) are lurking behind some bigger paphs, hiding from my gaze … to taunt me so I believe they’re all dead. 🥺

If memory serves me, I think it was Harold Koopowitz who raised this paph to species rank. Prior to that it was considered a callosum vinicolored. The problem still exists today in that there were only three maybe four clones ever discovered. People had/have a hard time excepting viniferum as a species with so few ever found but anything is possible.
Here is an article describing the history and showing 3 clones
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/shinshu/enshinshu24.html

There is a major difference between the source Rick and Paphfreak shared.
The first article says it was callosum 'Sparkling Burgundy' FCC that was used as a building block of modern vinicolor hybrids whereas the second article says it was callosum 'JAC' if I read it right without being confused?
Viniferum is now considered a separate species but there's no known population but just a single plant originally? hmmm
The whole thing sounds very strange.

The 'Ebon' clone was the Stewart Orchid firm out of LA, California's plant and they were the first to start the vini breeding. Norris Powell owner of the Orchid House indeed had the clone 'Jac' but its my understanding the Jac clone was a "flame" vini. In other words, the dorsal still had a rim of white to it. Of course it didn't take long before Terry Root took over the majority of the breeding.

Thanks, Rick.
So you're saying it wasn't Sparkling Burgundy but Ebon clone that was the starting point of vini hybrids?
Still confusing regarding JAC as some say vini and you say flame vini. It could have been mislabled plant but I think I've seen a photo of JAC and Sparkling Burgundy. Both were completely dark. I would have to assume those were wrong photos, then?

If memory serves me, I think it was Harold Koopowitz who raised this paph to species rank. Prior to that it was considered a callosum vinicolored. The problem still exists today in that there were only three maybe four clones ever discovered. People had/have a hard time excepting viniferum as a species with so few ever found but anything is possible.
Here is an article describing the history and showing 3 clones....
Indeed Rick, it was H. Koopowitz who raised it up to species rank, whereas KEW Science and others see this name a synonym to Paphiopedilum callosum var. callosum .

There is a major difference between the source Rick and Paphfreak shared.
The first article says it was callosum 'Sparkling Burgundy' FCC that was used as a building block of modern vinicolor hybrids whereas the second article says it was callosum 'JAC' if I read it right without being confused?
Viniferum is now considered a separate species but there's no known population but just a single plant originally? hmmm
The whole thing sounds very strange.

'Sparkling Burgundy' is the source of the vinicolor line...this is straight from our late friend Norito. 'JAC' is recessive for vinicolor, but did breed for wider petals with spots. Again, this comes from Norito.

Dave

'Sparkling Burgundy' is the source of the vinicolor line...this is straight from our late friend Norito. 'JAC' is recessive for vinicolor, but did breed for wider petals with spots. Again, this comes from Norito.

Dave
@Paph Paradise Since you jumped in…. ;-).

How do you grow this? Since I have one of your ‘JAC’ x’s. Thought I’d ask

@Paph Paradise Since you jumped in…. ;-).

How do you grow this? Since I have one of your ‘JAC’ x’s. Thought I’d ask

They are just sitting next to our Paph wardii. That would put them closer to the heater (not sure if that matters, but it's where they landed). They are in the shadiest part of the nursery as well. Other than that they are treated like everything else. Watered and fertilized once per week with our crunchy, high calcium water.

Dave

They are just sitting next to our Paph wardii. That would put them closer to the heater (not sure if that matters, but it's where they landed). They are in the shadiest part of the nursery as well. Other than that they are treated like everything else. Watered and fertilized once per week with our crunchy, high calcium water.

Dave
Perfect. I’ll do the same ;-)

Indeed Rick, it was H. Koopowitz who raised it up to species rank, whereas KEW Science and others see this name a synonym to Paphiopedilum callosum var. callosum .
Might be so, but I can't believe, that the flower in this thread was anything close to what Koopowitz raised to species rank... everything screams hybrid IMHO!

Latest posts

Back