villosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Same flower, but now that the dorsal color is beautifully yellow, I'm posting again.
The color and the texture really show in the sun light. :)
I love this. Long live, my villosum! :smitten:

SL2DiCwl.jpg

BhOnN0gl.jpg

The tag says QF, so quintal farm in Hawaii.
I bought this in bud from Alex (icepengyun sp??) off eBay.
He sells lots of plants from QF, and everything is spotless clean and of great quality. :)

4 actually.
One in bloom, one next to it, and two small starts that are not seen in the photo. Already clumping potential as it should. :)

Do I see a thin white line around the dorsal? How big is the plant itself? Was the parent cross on the label?

Nice yellow on dorsal. Any update on blooms this year?

I see your comment now. I gave the plant away two years ago. I kinda miss it. It is a common species but with so many subtle variations around, it is not easy to find one that fit my taste. I miss it. It was a small growing type and an easy clumper too. Oh, well. Too late now.

Do I see a thin white line around the dorsal? How big is the plant itself? Was the parent cross on the label?

There wasn't any white on this flower. There was this very thin outline along the edge that was lighter in color but not white.
The plant was surprisingly small, a typical henryanum size I would say. Definitely smaller than many villosum I saw in the past.
I do not remember the information regarding the parents. I gave the plant away a couple of years ago. I miss it now.

I am sure QF and Orchid Inn have these still. Or you can ask for a division back if you know who you gave it to. Do you think they took pics?

As you may have seen in my villosum post, these have been delegated as a new variety of villosum called laichaunum. This is because of the yellow dorsal and the small plant size.

Yeah, I think I saw villosum var. annamense on Orhcid Inn list in the fall. So, is annamense the same as laichaunum now?
I read the German article by Olaf Gruss explaining the differences among a few different varieties of the species but at least two three of them didn't seem distinct enough to me.

Yeah, I think I saw villosum var. annamense on Orhcid Inn list in the fall. So, is annamense the same as laichaunum now?
I read the German article by Olaf Gruss explaining the differences among a few different varieties of the species but at least two three of them didn't seem distinct enough to me.
No... they are two separate varieties

The yellow dorsal with chestnut markings is the var laichaunum. The white dorsal with magenta blotching is the var annamense.So this one you have HappyPaphy7 is the var laichaunum.

Back