• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

vietnamense x malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I just saw a picture and fell in love. Hard. :smitten:

I don't even know if they are available in the U.S. yet. Have any insight, anyone?

kentuckiense said:
I just saw a picture and fell in love. Hard. :smitten:

I don't even know if they are available in the U.S. yet. Have any insight, anyone?
I read in Orchids magazine that vietnamense is now legal in the US, but keep a paper trail...

SlipperFan said:
I read in Orchids magazine that vietnamense is now legal in the US, but keep a paper trail...
Exactly, so shouldn't vietnamense x malipoense be legal, too? I was under the impression that hybrids are always legal, but apparently I was mistaken.

Well, there are a couple of issues here.

First, Paph vietnamense is now legal in the US, from some sources. Vietnam still doesn't allow the export of these, so you have to buy them from the legal stock in the USA. Antec got a few of the plants (as a rescue center, according to the rumors I've heard... USFW seized some illegal plants and Vietnam didn't want them back, so they were sent to Antec) and sold the flasks, and now those seedlings are for sale around the country. Glen Decker also told me that he got some legal seed from USFW, so his vietnamense are legal, but perhaps from a different source.

Anyway, there have been blooming size vietnamense in the US for long enough that there should be several hybrids legally available. I know that Paph Ho Chi Mihn (delenatii x vietnamense) is pretty common... they were flasked and sold by Antec. I'm sure that others have made plenty of hybrids, too, and the one in question is probably among them.

So, MOST hybrids are legal, but only if the parent plants are legal. This is the big issue with the Paph hangianum hybrids that are so popular in Taiwan at the moment; they are still illegal in the USA because Vietnam still hasn't allowed any hangianum to be exported. In the USA, the Lacey Act is enforced such that all of the progeny of illegal plants are also illegal, thus, even artificially propagated Taiwanese hangianum hybrids are illegal because the parents were necessarily illegal.

This also means that if you were to import a flask of vietnamense x malipoense, it would also be illegal, technically speaking (unless the exporter can prove that their parent plants were legal through some circumstances similar to Antec's). Practically speaking, though, nobody will probably care about vietnamense parentage in a hybrid anymore, since they are so common in the US.

So. I don't know if that helps clear anything up, and also, I'm not a lawyer :D That's just my understanding of a confusing system.

- Matthew

Matt, you spelled it out perfectly, thanks. It looks like I'll have to wait for this hybrid to be made with vietnamense from Decker/Antec.

Incidently, this hybrid is called Paph Wossner Butterfly". Aside from the places that have it in Taiwan, Clouds Orchids in Canada has it (at a temptingly low price).

- Matt

There is a listing on eBay for a Paph Wossner Love(micranthum x vietnamese) by a seller from California. I noticed the Paph Wossner Butterfly sold for a mere $15.99

I noticed an (ended) Ebay auction too, but I believe it was from Canada. Still, it might be worth keeping an eye out :)

Matt

There are quite a few mis-statements in this thread, some that may lead people in the US to some problems.

so they were sent to Antec
The plants were placed in a rescue center which allowed us to work with them, but they as required by law stayed at the rescue center. Only capsules and pollen were removed.

Anyway, there have been blooming size vietnamense in the US for long enough that there should be several hybrids legally available

This is not true, there has been barely sufficient time for the fastest growers of our releases to reach flowering size, much less to have produced offspring. Yes, lots of large vietnamense plants are in circulation. F&WL, to my surprise, are taking a lot of interest in pursuing these. How do I know? By the calls from people asking me to fake invoices for them (forget it) and from calls from F&WL agents asking for verification of paperwork. They especially like eBay, as one agent said to me "ebay transactions are a legal slam dunk" as ebay keeps excellent transaction records.

So, MOST hybrids are legal
No, the only hybrid that we released were Ho Chi Minhs. We produced many more hybrids, but have only sold a few flasks of one or two of these crosses early on. The rest are here growing, and because of the hassles and headaches the rest of this whole issue have caused us, I dread selling them. I guess if I sell them directly, and not as flasks or compots as with the vietnamense or Ho Chi Minh, it will be less of a hassle later on with filling out court affidavits.

Practically speaking, though, nobody will probably care about vietnamense parentage in a hybrid anymore, since they are so common in the US.
Doesn't seem to be the case based on the emails and phone calls we are receiving, as stated above.

Mr Wellenstein,

Thanks for the clarifications. I hope that I had made it clear that my information regarding your vietnamense was only rumor, which obviously turned out to be mistaken, as is so often the case with rumors.

As long as I'm here, let me address a couple of the points you raised.

Quote:
Anyway, there have been blooming size vietnamense in the US for long enough that there should be several hybrids legally available

This is not true, there has been barely sufficient time for the fastest growers of our releases to reach flowering size, much less to have produced offspring.

My reasoning progressed as follows: You have made a legal vietnamense hybrid (in the USA), as a consequence of your access to legal vietnamense parent plants. Others also have had access to these plants (namely, Glen Decker, or so he told me). If you've had time to make a hybrid, so has anyone else with access. So, there has been sufficient time for others to make hybrids, though it seems apparent that nobody else has actually done so. Perhaps it is simply an issue of access, not time.

And, as you said later in your post,
We produced many more hybrids, but have only sold a few flasks of one or two of these crosses early on. The rest are here growing,

So, indeed, several hybrids have been made. I only said that they SHOULD be available... hint hint :)

Anyway, to move on to the next point....

Quote:
So, MOST hybrids are legal

No, the only hybrid that we released were Ho Chi Minhs.

Here, I wasn't speaking of most vietnamense hybrids, simply of Paph hybrids generally, in response to kentuckiense's comment regarding the legal status of hybrids on the whole. Looking back at my post, I see that it was ambiguous on that point. Sorry, my fault :)

Quote:
Practically speaking, though, nobody will probably care about vietnamense parentage in a hybrid anymore, since they are so common in the US.

Doesn't seem to be the case based on the emails and phone calls we are receiving, as stated above.

I'm glad to hear that! I've seen so many vietnamense for sale that I was assuming that they just weren't being looked after anymore. In fact, there have been several species on Ebay (hangianum comes to mind) that have been offered for months at a time with no action being taken, which I have found surprising. I was starting to get the impression that our USWF just didn't care about us anymore :)

Whether or not people can get away with buying or selling illegal plants (practically speaking), I certainly wouldn't suggest that people do it! If anyone took my comment that way, then I'm very sorry indeed.

Anyway, thanks again for clearing this up.

- Matthew Gore

I wonder if action has been taken on some of these sellers...remember that guy who was selling all those hangianums and other illegal paphs on ebay, out of NYC? I haven't seen his offers in about 2 months. Speaking of which....I have heard that Vietnam did OK the exportation of at least one flask of hangianums recently....any info on this? Take care, Eric

Bob, thanks for stepping into the thread and clarifying things. I definitely do appreciate it. I really want to understand all these things.

I have a question, if you don't mind. I was recently given a beautiful Ho Chi Minh (thanks cdub!). I'm under the impression that it is safe to assume that it is from your crossing. It seems to be about the right size and everything. Therefore, I'm wondering if you used multiple vietnamense and/or delenatii parents for this cross. I'm just trying to figure out parentage of my plant. I know it's impossible to say for sure because I don't know 100% that my plant is from your cross, I just figured it'd be interesting to know.

Thanks Bob! I look forward to seeing those vietnamense hybrids some day.

Eric Muehlbauer said:
I have heard that Vietnam did OK the exportation of at least one flask of hangianums recently....any info on this?
That'd be great. Maybe they learned from the vietnamense debacle?

Latest posts

Back