Video of Cypripedium flavum in nature

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here's the next video in the series of vids I'm making about Cyps I saw in Sichuan, China. Cypripedium flavum is a plentiful species at present, but its future is uncertain due to climate change as well as collecting pressure from plant diggers. In this video you get to see it in its native high mountain valleys in northern Sichuan.

Cypripedium flavum in nature

FlavumFUBB.jpg

Tom

Thanks for all the effort you put into posting these videos, it really helps to put the cultivation of these plants into context.
When you say the ph of the substrate is high do you have any figures? Given all the travertine and copious amounts of water it would be hard to imagine a more alkaline environment.
Thanks

Phil

Hey Phil,

This species can take anything from 6.5 up to 8.0, with somewhere around 7.5 probably being optimal. The real limiting factor in growing them is temperature however. They cannot properly photosynthesize above 25 C with 18-20 C being optimal - that's a hard requirement to fulfill for many gardens.

See this article about C. flavum on my blog for more detailed information.

Tom

Thanks for the info - great article on your blog too. In my part of the Uk [Yorkshire] it is rare to have temperatures over 25C, so I'll be giving Flavum a try next year.

Phil

Latest posts

Back