Very viable parents

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Just looking at a catalog of species Paph flasks available from Taiwan and remembering Sanderianums comment, there are a number of crosses available with 100 to 200 ( rounding figures ) flasks containing 20 plants. One cross really hit me is a P. leucochilum sib ( ww x yy ) with 304 flask available.
Thats 6080 seedlings from the one cross, this I find very hard to believe.
All I can say is that both parents must have had lots of flowers to use.

i dunno. i've always heard that one orchid seed pod can make as many as a million seeds. i don't know how true that is but....

oh. funny! (i wonder how a proverbial mile compares with a nautical mile or a linear mile...)
i know that there are too many species and hybrids in the orchid family to make generalizations but for some reason i let that one into my orchidspeak. hmmm. is that also true for Cyps and Phrags?

Roy -
Is it possible (it seems likely) that they have flasked more than one pod? I tend to flask everything that I don't cut off.

Roy -
Is it possible (it seems likely) that they have flasked more than one pod? I tend to flask everything that I don't cut off.

Very unlikely. They have massive quantities of seedlings of any given cross, if you ask. At the time of the release of paph stonei album, one famous seller in Taiwan had "10.000 seedlings available". Sometimes by luck you can make many seedlings from a seed caps, but it is more of an exception than the rule.

There are 2 reasons, both of them are quite bad actually. First they use a lot of sister plants to make a lot of seeds, or buy seedlings of the species and put a clonal tag. That's why I bought ( and I am not alone!) the same roth seedlings grex at 3 different times, and ended up with 2 different types of plants (narrow short leaves, and the next time mix of narrow short leaves and huge broad leaves, third time huge broad leaves only...). Many do like that.

The second reason, it is extremely easy to proliferate seedlings in flasks, using hormons. Paphs are very receptive to an hormon/organic combination, I tried it, but then there are a lot of mutations problems if they carry the process too far ( and like for the phals and catts, most labs will carry it as much as possible, because the order mentions "all" for the quantity, and the more the better :evil:)

Latest posts

Back