• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Very strange ebay bid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volume, volume, volume. Perfect climate (no heating or cooling). Lots of automation and cheap labor. Illegals in the US, probably (can't prove it, but come on, people...), or overseas where you can get somebody to work harder than a Iditerod sled dog for a few dollars a day.

Even with the lowest input prices, they are still skating on very thin margins. At a profit of a few cents (let's say a dime a plant), it doesn't take much to whack your business hard. A cold snap which damages your crop will be fatal to your business even if it only sets back production by a few weeks. Hurricane? Heck, a strong hailstorm would do the trick. The fickle winds of Walmart can crush you (sorry, we are buying from the slob across the street this week, you lose). The big megastores usually insist that you buy back whatever doesn't sell. You need intense marketing and supply-chain management skills.

Selling plants directly to the consumer looks pretty good under those conditions. You need somebody to run the internet operations and fufill small orders. Relatively cheap. You insulate yourself from the walmart effect to some degree. You definitely make more per plant even at those prices by selling direct to the consumer. People aren't paying a lot, and I suspect most aren't expecting a lot, so that works well. Add in a buck or two profit per box on shipping and you are rolling in gold bullion (or at least it seems like it compared to selling wholesale).

Candace,

The flat-rate boxes from USPS would be excellent, but they fit exactly none of the items I would ever ship. If a plant is small enough to fit into one of those boxes, it is always cheaper to send it in a 'variable rate' box.

It would be nice if they made more sizes of flat rate boxes, though.

I am not saying this plant is or isn't worth the money. I can't tell from the pic. The pic is of the actual bloom. Maybe the person inquired and liked the measurements, form and color of the flower. Maybe it was the most vigorous of the cross. Who knows what the buyer thought or knows. Paying 50 dollars for a select maud is nothing. If that bloom is large it is actually an above average flower.

Candace said:
What I would do with an acre of greenhouse space...:drool:

With one acre of greenhouse space you would slowly loose money and your sanity.

With 5 acres of greenhouse space you would be able to save for your retirement.

With 10 acres of greenhouse space your children will be come wealthy when they sell your estate.

With 1/10th acre of greenhouse space you can enjoy your orchid collection.
:clap:

Candace said:
That and my family would never see me again. You would start seeing my photo on milk cartons.
That is hilarious:rollhappy:

Mine has a big 0.005509632 of an acre.....ummmmmm maybe I need to cut down the size of the green room..

17.gif

gonewild said:
The profit comes from volume sales. Not quality. The plants they sell are small and probably only 6 months out of flask?

In theory....
2" pot = 25 pots per square foot of greenhouse.
25 pots x $0.50@ = $12.50 per square foot of greenhouse space.
Turnover 2 crops per year = $25.00 per square foot of greenhouse space.
$25.00 x 43560 square feet (1 acre) = $1,089,000.00 gross per year.

If they make a profit of only 1 cent per pot (plant) that equals $21,780.00

YES! this is exactly what I need to know!

Latest posts

Back