Venustum or Venus Rising?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you open the eBay listing and click on 'report item' (right side of page in blue writing) then you can complain (yes, you must be a member). That doesn't work from my end. I have no idea why.
John, perhaps for your own mental health you shouldn't shop on eBay?Never have; never will!

That guy and his friend "margaretmouse" are real a$$es. Almost all that he/she sells is fake (one can tell from the look of the plants). Pictures are usually stolen, except for one shot before the white door.
I bought one plant that turned out the real thing, but the others didn't. He/she regularly starts ebay complaints if you don't pay fast enough. I even told he/she to go <you know what> him/herself once.
Considering the fancy hybrids offer, I believe this person must hang around ST.

Well, not knowing all this until now, quite a few of my Paphs have come from this guy. To be honest, they are all good quality, healthy and vigorous plants, it's just that I don't know what they will turn out to be. I'll keep you posted (I have a Henrietta Fujiwara in bud from him). My most suspect plant is a Robinianum, with leaves that don't look quite right (they're quite different to another plant of this I have from a reputable nursery). At the end of the day, we have a Trades Description Act - if he has mis-sold me anything a prosecution is possible.

Unfortunately, we have very few dealers or nurseries here in Britain and ebay often offers the best selection of plants. I now know they appear to be too good to be true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you open the eBay listing and click on 'report item' (right side of page in blue writing) then you can complain (yes, you must be a member).
John, perhaps for your own mental health you shouldn't shop on eBay?

And now I am getting the run-around from ebay because the original email address I used when I first registered with them no longer exists. But they want me to email them from that address!!

Can you believe it?

Yes, Dot. I believe it!

I also believe (and hope!), that in time, eBay will get what's coming to it. The Internet is still a "toddler", despite how much it already intrudes into so many people's lives one way or the other nowadays. Just like the smokers and health insurance companies who finally went after the big tobaco companies for lying, I believe that eventually eBay will be hit hard by regulators for willfully enabling crooks like Burton and benefiting finanically from his (and others like him), crimes, while making it nearly impossible for people like you and me to get any satisfaction and justice, with their help. I'm going to contact the Attorney General of Ontario and find out how I go about filing a theft complaint with this jerk's local police. Maybe having the police at his door investigating Internet crimes will wake him up? It all depends on how seriously the UK takes these sort of crimes. Wouldn't it be great if they confiscated his computer(s)? How'd he be able to continue to rip off people all over the world, not to mention his EU customers who buy his mislabelled, misrepresented plants. Even if he ships the right species, in cases like when he steals my hangianum photo and now my Liberty Taiwan photo, he's lying to his customers because he does NOT have access to those plants in the photos. Those are not representative of the quality that he is selling. My hangianum and Liberty Taiwan, are, as far as I've seen, the best of the best quality anywhere; but, he's implying to his customers that when they buy his plants, they'll get the quality that they see in my photos. Not likely!

Yup. It's official. eBay sucks!

Love that idea, John.

I've communicated with 3 different people at ebay, all with the same department. I swear they do not talk to each other. After filling out forms and sending them per their request, we'll see what happens to my photo.

I didn't see this thread.

About the ebay seller, necessary to forget this kind of joker...

About the flower, clearly not venustum. Could be Symondsiae (venustum x purpuratum) The staminode is near purpuratum.

Good for you Dot and John M. Get him! I've been tricked a couple of
times and didn't even know it until SlipperKing pointed out the differences
between what I thought I was buying and what I actually got.

John dear, you are a wonder when you get riled! WOOHOO!

This is a well-worn Ebay trick - sell a plant that looks similar to the advertised, and only can be identified clearly as wrong when it flowers months or years later. By then, positive feedback will have been secured and the 90 day complaints window will probably have closed, leaving you with no recourse to these thieving sh*tbags at all.

I have never bought from margaretmouse/falconer/Ryan Burton, and have seen enough discussion online to know never to do so. We do not have top level Paphiopedilum vendors in the UK, but it is easy to order from Europe where people like the absolutely excellent Asendorfer Orchideen trade, so we do have some options. However, I did get screwed by an unrelated thieving turd last year for a rare Cypripedium which turned out to be rubbish, and I'm still angry. The seller was baerbelde, who is still advertising occasional rarities on the US Ebay site. As per John M on Ryan Burton, I really hope he rips off the wrong person soon :viking:.

@John, @ Dot, good luck with this, I suspect you are going to need a lot of patience and persistence. I live in the UK and I'm grateful for the info on this vendor, so thanks to all involved in this exposure.

Another indicator it's probably a hybrid that it has 2 flowers per inflorescence, that's fairly uncommon with venustum. Checking the awarded list only 1 CCM plant had more than 1 flower per inflorescence, out of 71 awarded plants.

Sent from my oneplus one

Latest posts

Back