Venustum or Venus Rising?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The leaves are pure venustum. If it were a hybrid, I doubt the leaves would hold that venustum pattern. But it may have something else in it from several generations ago.

I agree. The leaves, what we can see of them, do look very "venustum". So, this adds to the mystery even more. If this is pure venustum, it's an example of a VERY extreme variety with very little of the veining that makes venustum stand out among species. .....And without the veining, why bother with it? There are plenty of other species with similar colours, shapes and spot patterns; but, only (normal), vensutums have that spectacular veining pattern on the lip.

I agree. The leaves, what we can see of them, do look very "venustum". So, this adds to the mystery even more. If this is pure venustum, it's an example of a VERY extreme variety with very little of the veining that makes venustum stand out among species. .....And without the veining, why bother with it? There are plenty of other species with similar colours, shapes and spot patterns; but, only (normal), vensutums have that spectacular veining pattern on the lip.

Agreed. And nice to see you spelling ''colour'' the correct way.:D

In case it helps (or maybe not!), here are some better pics of the foliage
udasybad.jpg

ve2ebe5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The leaves on your plant have a purple base and just a light flush of purple underneath, whereas venustum should have dense fine spotting on the whole lower surface of the leaves. Doesn't look right for venustum, to me.

The leaves on your plant have a purple base and just a light flush of purple underneath, whereas venustum should have dense fine spotting on the whole lower surface of the leaves. Doesn't look right for venustum, to me.

Absolutely agree. The flower looked suspicious to me and now the foliage proves conclusively that it is not a 100% venustum. The underneath of leaves look nothing like venustum. In fact even the top of the leaves don't look fully like a venustum. The leaves of venustum has more of a velvety look about it.

I agree too. Thanks for the clearer photo of the foliage. It's not a pure venustum.

I suspect that your suspicions are correct....that the two different vendors you bought from have acquired these plants from the same nursery and one of them decided to change the name and let a very venustum-looking hybrid masquerade as the pure species. This would allow him to charge a premium price. A pure venustum would fetch much more than a pot-plant hybrid. The world is FULL of dishonest people. Buyer beware!

That's Ryan Burton!!!! He's a dirty thief!!! Don't ever deal with him! Tell everybody you know to never deal with him! He stole my photo of my Paph. hangianum last June 2013 and used it in his eBay auctions. I told him to take it down. He ignored me. I sent him an invoice for the commercial use of my copyrighted property. He ignored me and kept using my photo. This person has no ethics. Now that I know the vendor you got your so-called venustum from is this a$$hole, I am certain that your plant was deliberately mislabelled. He's only interested in telling lies to make money. You should demand a refund. The venustum flowers in his current eBay auction do look like pure venustum; but, since he's shipping plants like the one you got, he's obviously deliberately being dishonest. He's employing "Bait and switch" to get people like you to order plants and send him your good money. Then, he's sending you something else. I only hope that he rips off the wrong person who happens to live close enough that they can go to his house and deal with him in person! What a scumbag!

How do I post negative feedback? Do I have to be an eBay member? I hate eBay. They are as bad as the crooks that steal photos because they make themselves very scarce if you have a complaint and they won't do anything about the theft of photos. After all, when someone sells a plant by using a stolen photo, eBay benefits too; so, why would they listen to me?

Yeah, I know my previous post is a bit over the top; but, I was really, really furious with both Burton AND eBay at the time because I could not get ANY reaction or response from either one of them.

try 'customer support' > 'report an item'. You will need to know the item number where your photo was used illegally and/or a purposely mislablled plant.
Its best if the purchaser contacts the seller for a response, then posts negative feedback if they are dissatisfied.

As I said, I HATE ebay! Ozpaph, I tried "customer support" and then "report an item"; but, I had to register and join ebay to be allowed to report the theft. But now that I'm a member, I can't get their links to open the pages I need to report anything. I've spent ages, just like the last time I tried to get ebay's help with this crook Burton, and nothing works. I'm so fed up. Why should I have to join and jump through all their fire-burnig hoops just to report that one of THEIR members has stolen MY property? If they REALLY gave a damn, they'd make reporting infractions a LOT easier! God! I HATE ebay!

Why can't there be a simple link or a 1-800 number for people to call and register complaints? I think the reason is because ebay really doesn't want to hear about photo thefts because if they mess up seller's listings by forcing the removal of photos, they lose income too because then less stuff gets sold. That makes them just as dishonest and crooked as the sellers who steal photos. Did I mention that I HATE ebay?

If you open the eBay listing and click on 'report item' (right side of page in blue writing) then you can complain (yes, you must be a member).
John, perhaps for your own mental health you shouldn't shop on eBay?

Back