• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Vented pots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Where is everyone buying their vented black pots in assorted sizes from?
Are these simply aquatic basket pots?

While I'm on the want subject, what about a potting medium for mottled leafed paphs? Anything out there in a ready to use mix that can be bought by the bag?

I use the aircones. I prefer them to anything of any color - especially if you are a new grower, because you can monitor the roots and the watering by looking for clues inside the pots.

Ulla and Jan (the owners of KK) are in my Orchid Society, Ulla is a fellow trustee on the board with me. They are quality vendors. I don't buy my supplies anywhere else.

I like their paph mix as well. If you don't want CHC (coconut husk) they make a good fine bark mix that I like for paphs.

Are there problems with using coconut husk in a mix?

I've been using Schultz brand fir bark with added horticultural grade charcoal and some perlite tossed in for good measure but figured that mix might not be the best for the paphs. The Schutz brand is kind of chunky and I always wondered about that.

i've been using kelly's korner's special mix and i like it. the benefits to using chc in a mix is that it doesn't break down as quickly as bark. it's good at holding water, it is a new use of a previous waste product (they used to throw it out but have now found a use for it), and it doesn't turn acidic as some media components do....

What about using rockwool (used for some nepenthes mixes) if it is desirable to have mixes for paphs that don't break down or does its inability to retain moisture knock it out of the ball park in a paph mix? Along similar lines, what about gray pumice or glazed nuggets. Just curious.

I personally prefer coconut husk for paphs, fir bark for frags, and Paph, delanatii. While CHC holds up well, it can get waterlogged, so I always mix it with massive quantities of inorganic aerating media...sponge rock isn't what it used to be (too small), so I add lots of lava rock, Dynarok, and some charcoal. Even so, I try not to let the mix go before 1.5 years, 2.5 years for multiflorals. I make my own mix...doesn't take more than minutes. Take care, Eric

I'll order some of the translucent pots from them.

Hey Eric- I think I'll go for trying to make my own mix. Do you use any fir bark in any mixes other than for phrags?

For my paphs I use aircones filled with fine chc, alifor, fine diatomite, fine charcoal and a sprinkle of tree fern fiber. All from kellys korner, including the post, aside from the alifor which was from a local hydroponics store.

Latest posts

Back