Vendors that offer seed propogated or rescued Cypripedium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Last edited:
How about Calypso seed?

Scott and Liz Durkee from VT LS Farm are really nice. Their plants go fast though. I recently received an email with their Fall seedling offerings, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are all spoken for. They continue to propogate and sell out every season, that's amazing. Sheesh, I'm in the wrong business.

The grand champion terrestrial orchid source is Paul Christian Rare Plants in the UK. Over the years, you will find just about everything there as they serve as the sales representative of many European and Asian growers. They also have excellent ability to provide phytosanitary certificates and CITES documentation for shipment anywhere in the world.

Crustacare in Europe also offers a nice list of seedlings as does Pinkepanck, Pinkepanck also offers adult plants.

Very nice adult plants are also offered by Plantek in Canada. Also in Canada Fraser's Thimble Farms has a very large Cypripedium list.

Asiatica Nurseries in Pennsylvania has a varying Cypripedium list but lots of other terrestrials.

Gardens of the Blue Ridge in North Carolina also offers a variety of terrestrials including very large plants of Cyp pubescens - these are field grown divisions.

Calypso seed is usually available from the Orchid Seedbank Project.

I also have a link to other sources at www.gardensatposthill.com - its a crude site still (mine so no inappropriate insult!) - hit Links from the home page.

There are several sources in Japan but I only have one link.

Kentuckiense, thanks for your list. I was not aware of some of these sources. If we all respond, I bet the list will become even larger!

Ron

RON BURCH! Welcome! Thanks for those sources, they will be added within the next day or two.

I'm 'cowbite' from SOF, by the way.

another vendor

Hi all,
"Raising Rarities" in Toledo Ohio is another vendor.
-Helen

Another vendor is Orchid Gardens in Minnesota. They carry C. reginae. They harvest it from their own land, resetting and dividing the clumps.They strictly limit the number of plants that they sell..I think no more than 2 divisions to established customers, 1 to new customers. If they feel that the number of plants isn't as high as it should be, they discontinue selling it...they no longer sell C.p. puebescens for that reason. Their plants are huge and healthy, however coming from Minnesota, they cannot handle the warmer conditions of NYC. There used to be a guy who sold salvaged C. acaule from the Atlanta area...perfectly heat tolerant for this area. Take care, Eric

Eric Muehlbauer said:
Another vendor is Orchid Gardens in Minnesota. They carry C. reginae. They harvest it from their own land, resetting and dividing the clumps.They strictly limit the number of plants that they sell..I think no more than 2 divisions to established customers, 1 to new customers. If they feel that the number of plants isn't as high as it should be, they discontinue selling it...they no longer sell C.p. puebescens for that reason. Their plants are huge and healthy, however coming from Minnesota, they cannot handle the warmer conditions of NYC. There used to be a guy who sold salvaged C. acaule from the Atlanta area...perfectly heat tolerant for this area. Take care, Eric

I think that is the MN plants will do well in NY provided the right conditions exist. Years ago (late 80s) I had gotten the two species from Mrs. Phillips (her son now runs the enterprise) and they grew great and flowered for me. I am in Santa Maria California! Much farther south than NY!! I also recommend that you snag a copy of her book, The Root Book and if you enjoy reading her
Adventures of a 'Wild' Plants Woman!!

Also on the orchids: You must purchase an equal amount of non-orchid plants in order to order a C. reginae. The current catalog expires Jan. 20th and lists the Cyp at $15 US. Limit of 2.

Note if you like club mosses (Lycopodium) He carries a trio at a great price.

That's interesting info....Unfortunately, I've never kept reginae alive for more than 3 years...even though I have gotten it to bloom. I've tried their Lycopodium specials a few times, but even worse luck with them...they always pack with live sphagnum, though....Take care, Eric

the jive turkey said:
try here:
http://www.calypsoorchid.com/
This woman specializes in Calypso and is very enthusiastic.

I have been in contact with this person. She is enthusiastic, but has limited experience with the plants. The limit is she collects seed from plants on her property and sells it. She is running a few experiments on sowing the seed in prepared beds but nothing as far as in vitro growing yet.

Someone was selling a couple of plants on ebay recently, but I cannot remember the name of the seller. I will look.

Hardy Orchids

Dear John,
We can now offer a goodly selection of hardy orchids.
Go to www.hardyorchids.co.uk
Part of Ratcliffe now!
We are looking for good suppliers willing to export
Paul
Ratcliffe Orchids Ltd

Here's a Canadian vendor for lab propagated Cyps - Fraser's Thimble Farms.
I haven't ordered anything from them yet but their catalog keeps calling me back for another look. I'll probably start with a Pleione order this fall.

Shaun

I took my cyp. reginae seedlings [from fundulopanchax] out of the fridge a few days ago and they're starting to sprout up! Thanx Ron! [I ordered some cyp makasin seedlings and a parviflorum, also from Gardens @Post Hill] Yay Cypripedium!!!

Latest posts

Back