Vendors that offer seed propogated or rescued Cypripedium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the correct link for Spangle Creek Labs http://www.spanglecreeklabs.com/ they are in the hinterlands of Minnesota, and their web server is not the most reliable, so retry until you finally get through.

Bill and Carol Steel run this business. I had ordered seedlings from them several years ago, their product was good. They have a nice selection of modestly priced, just out of flask seedlings, a great deal and some really rare stuff. Usually Bill is able to do 2 vernalization (~ growing seasons) in flask so these fresh out of flask seedlings are as big as 2nd year seedlings. Very nice quality plants, at modest prices. Bill came to this hobby as a prairie restorationist, he is mostly interested in species conservation. They do not usually handle hybrids.

Spangle Creek is a great place. Many years ago I used to send him seed from my acaule's...in the days when I had so many blooms I could afford to pollinate some.

Ray's got some nice stuff, including rarely offered Platenthera as well as Arethusa bulbosa (shippable in the fall).

As for the other link, ah, not so sure. With an eBay name like "diggerdude" and selling such products as he does (very cheap Cyps and "Lady's Slipper Root Wild Grown Ground Powder"), one can only wonder about his fellow. The photo he uses for Trillium cernuum is not that species, but rather looks more like T. erectum, too. Personally, I'd not feel comfortable with buying from him, but that's just me.

I just got a pubescens from him. He claims that all his cyps are rescued plants, put in propagation beds. All I can say is that his plant was very healthy....we'll see what comes up in the next few weeks.

Also
Arirang Orchids in California offers Cyp californicum and a couple of other terrestrials
www.arirangorchids.com/

Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology operated by Holger Perner
offers Asian Cyps
hengduanbiotech.com/

Ray's got some nice stuff, including rarely offered Platenthera as well as Arethusa bulbosa (shippable in the fall).

As for the other link, ah, not so sure. With an eBay name like "diggerdude" and selling such products as he does (very cheap Cyps and "Lady's Slipper Root Wild Grown Ground Powder"), one can only wonder about his fellow. The photo he uses for Trillium cernuum is not that species, but rather looks more like T. erectum, too. Personally, I'd not feel comfortable with buying from him, but that's just me.

Well I ordered from him, maybe it was a big mistake? Maybe not? We'll see. I got 3 C. reginae from Ray and 3 C. pubescens from the other guy. I read about that ground root powder on a different site and it is an old remedy that seems to work. The plants from eBay arrived awhile ago and I have them in the fridge. The roots look in good shape and I saw lots of buds/nubs. Should I open the bag and check them out or not? I was afraid to after NYEric said opening the bag could introduce pathogens and kill the plant.

I just got a pubescens from him. He claims that all his cyps are rescued plants, put in propagation beds. All I can say is that his plant was very healthy....we'll see what comes up in the next few weeks.

They may be rescued plants, but I wonder about the "wild grown" Cyp powder... can that be "rescued" as well :confused:

Also
Arirang Orchids in California offers Cyp californicum and a couple of other terrestrials
www.arirangorchids.com/

Thanks Tim. Didn't know about this source.

Well I ordered from him, maybe it was a big mistake? Maybe not? We'll see. I got 3 C. reginae from Ray and 3 C. pubescens from the other guy. I read about that ground root powder on a different site and it is an old remedy that seems to work. The plants from eBay arrived awhile ago and I have them in the fridge. The roots look in good shape and I saw lots of buds/nubs. Should I open the bag and check them out or not? I was afraid to after NYEric said opening the bag could introduce pathogens and kill the plant.

I don't doubt the plants look good - and it is possible that they were legally rescued as well. I don't know how "wild grown" Cyp powder can be considered a good thing though. Yes, Cyps have been used for centuries as medicine, especially for nervous disorders. Given the amount of alternatives, I can't see why Cyps, especially wild ones, should still be used in this way.

As for your fridge plants, I don't like keeping them in bags because that can cause rot. IMO you should take them out and plant them, either into pots which can be kept in a cold garage until growth starts, or plant them out. If they aren't in growth this won't be a problem.

Since I'm going to plant them in beds, I shouldn't put them in pots, right? So your saying I can plant them outside now, even though it still might get quite cold? Should I mulch them?

If you were going to plant a standard perennial now, that was still dormant, you probably wouldn't be too worried about the cold in late march. You could put something light over it if you were really worried, but not a stifling or heavy thing

some people keep their plants in pots (inorganic media) but then put in the ground. you might have to ask some of the european members here who do lots of that. some may lift them out in the winter I think

Seb
Sorry to say Medlock seems to have a less than great track record. I ordered some cyps , the original order was delivered fine later orders a bit less straightforward.
I suggest you read this informative thread from the Scottish Rock garden forum:

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11243.0

Phil

Thanks for your answer ...I'm gonna have fun to rot him on the net !...

Latest posts

Back