Variegated Nogoran

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Sedirea japonica Minmaru shima.

Miniature variety with round leaves.
Every leaf is a pleasant surprise.

This one is off white, cream color in the variegated area.
I have been growing this under T8.

Avg2SEzl.jpg

This second one is especially fun. Buttery yellow variegation.
The color doesn't show true in the picture, but it is very yellow.
It was completely green when much younger, then it started to show some variegation as it put on more leaves.
This latest leaf has much less green than yellow.
There is a tiny start of another leaf for this year, which is not really seen in the picture.

This one was by the window, but I just moved it to T8 as I didn't like how it was leaning to one side.

TLfIuv6l.jpg

I have one more Minmaru, but it is showing a slight variegation on its latest leaf.
No picture since it is not that impressive. lol

Last edited:
These are nice Minmaru shima. They are appealing when compared to their larger cousins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are nice Minmaru shima. They are appealing when compared to their larger cousins.

Takes much less space, not that other types are very big either.
I have one that is about the size of penny, but not sure if I like it.
I keep it because it is so small but it dries out too fast.

Yes and no.
They seem to come and go.
When they persist, the amount & patterns seem to vary wildly.

The desired pattern tend to dictate price, but I have no idea nor do my taste match those in the market.

I'm happy with what I have for now. :)

The desired pattern tend to dictate price, but I have no idea nor do my taste match those in the market.

The fact they are variegated makes their value higher. I saw a Minmaru, not variegated, starting at auction for $9.99--someone got it for $12.00. That same vendor had a Minmaru shima starting off at $49.99 someone ended up buying it for $82.00 (or something like that).

Within the Minmaru shima category, I think, the more expensive ones have variegation that is consistently found on all leaves and are closer to yellow. My Minmaru shima have a lot of variegation on the newer leaves but less so, on the lower leaves. Mine are on the cream colored side. I certainly did not spend $82 on mine, more like (on average) $30.

This would imply that variegation is sort of stable?

I'm not sure, but I would think so.
At least both of mine have more and more yellow than green on each newer leaf.
Time will tell.
I would love to see what big plants of Minmaru shima look like. Haven't seen any.

The fact they are variegated makes their value higher. I saw a Minmaru, not variegated, starting at auction for $9.99--someone got it for $12.00. That same vendor had a Minmaru shima starting off at $49.99 someone ended up buying it for $82.00 (or something like that).

Within the Minmaru shima category, I think, the more expensive ones have variegation that is consistently found on all leaves and are closer to yellow. My Minmaru shima have a lot of variegation on the newer leaves but less so, on the lower leaves. Mine are on the cream colored side. I certainly did not spend $82 on mine, more like (on average) $30.

This would imply that variegation is sort of stable?

I don't think the more expensive ones are necessarily more stable, but they fetch higher price based on popularity/demand.

I'm not sure, but I would think so.

At least both of mine have more and more yellow than green on each newer leaf.

Time will tell.

I would love to see what big plants of Minmaru shima look like. Haven't seen any.

I don't think there are any larger Minmaru shima. This is their size. However there are regular Nagoran that are variegated.

As far as the ghosting effect, that Naoki asked about, I haven't seen a completely green free leaf or plant yet. But you do have to ask if no green variegation is appealing or healthy?

Large as in height due to age.
I have only seen typical size as mine are. Ok, and some slightly older.
I guess they just get taller.
My aunt's are rather unsightly with leafless base that are some 15 ( at least) years old!

I have seen standard sized Nagoran with variegation.
I don't find them pretty. It must be the shape of these small round leaves on Minramu shima that really appeals to me. Very cute! :)

With regard to ghost, I have seen Minmaru shima with a lot of yellow with slight green, and it had a baisal keiki which was a ghost.
I guess it is very much possible but not common.
Some people like it, and others don't, just like anything.

For me, I prefer a little bit of green, but wouldn't mind ghost.
I do like ghost on Neos, though. I guess it has to do with the shape.
Narrow yellow leaves look attractive to me, but not yellow round wide flat leaves. lol

Latest posts

Back