Quantcast

Variation in Paphiopedilum spicerianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Hoppy

Reaction score
AA72DF16-488A-44C0-A941-53E146153B3B.jpeg A990FF42-6976-4FD8-BA7C-DF2482CB3AC5.jpeg A21F3E63-7DA0-47CD-8CF7-BAC65D6BDEE6.jpeg I bought 2 Paph. spicerianum seedlings, 1 from grower A and 1 from grower B.
Grower B had also bought seedlings from Grower A, so originally it was assumed that I had bought pod/ flask sibs.

But I think not.
These are first flowers of both.
Photo 1 shows the variation in leaf shape between the 2 plants and the flower of Plant A.
Photo 2 shows Plant B in flower.
Definitely not related. Plant B seems to be one of the newer “flattened” cultivars with the darker pouch colours.
It has been opened about 5 days and not showing any tendency for the dorsal sepal to reflex.

I indeed feel lucky to have scored one of each out of my two babies.

tenman

Reaction score
Plant 2 is clearly a hybrid. The asian breeders have been selling Bruno and its crossbacks as spicerianum for decades.

Tony

Reaction score
I like #1 much better, the reflexed dorsal is so characteristic of the species that I don't see flattening it as any sort of improvement.

Hoppy

Reaction score
I’ll accept that Plant B is a hybrid.

Grower B assumed the plant would have been one of the seedlings he bought from Grower A. But some time previously he had bought a flask labeled Paphiopedilum spicerianum x sib. He no longer remembers it’s origin.

Hybrids have their own charm. As the species is not rare, it makes no sense to me to sell any hybrid as a species.

Ozpaph

Reaction score
I suspect all the 'flat dorsal' spicerianums are hybrids. One day genetic testing will clarify the situation (like charlesworthii, also)

SouthPark

Reaction score
Quite disappointing about sellers pushing out plants that are not what they're 'supposed' to be. On the other hand - there are cases of mutation.

Latest posts