Variation, Forma and ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

Ok, what makes a forma a forma? And what makes a variation a variation? Are they the same thing? Why is my philippinense a "frma album" while my equestris is a "var. alba"?

And why is one alba and one album?

Is that enough questions?

var. refers to a population that displays certain traits. For instance, malipoense var. jackii refers to a population of malipoense that has narrower lateral petals and less coloration on the staminode.

f. refers to an individual that has 'sprung up' within a population. For example, these is no colony of flavum besseaes. One simply "appeared."

Forma vs. formum: I think it has to do with the masculinity of the generic name. All slipper generic epithets end in -ium, so for slippers it should always be formum.

That's how I understand those things, at least.

kentuckiense said:
Forma vs. formum: I think it has to do with the masculinity of the generic name. All slipper generic epithets end in -ium, so for slippers it should always be formum.

That's how I understand those things, at least.

Same with alba vs. album. Because Paphiopedilum is masculine, all slippers should be referred to as album, instead of alba.

Heather said:
Same with alba vs. album. Because Paphiopedilum is masculine, all slippers should be referred to as album, instead of alba.

I believe Paphiopedium is a second declension neuter noun.

This is interesting... it was also my understanding that -e and -um were neuter suffixes. However, I note that Guido Braem (at least as quoted here: http://www.nascentorchids.com/color_designations.html , see Q/A at the bottom) seems to think it is masculine. I wonder if he was mis-quoted, or whether he meant that the gender is masculine in German, not Latin...

- Matt

gore42 said:
This is interesting... it was also my understanding that -e and -um were neuter suffixes. However, I note that Guido Braem (at least as quoted here: http://www.nascentorchids.com/color_designations.html , see Q/A at the bottom) seems to think it is masculine. I wonder if he was mis-quoted, or whether he meant that the gender is masculine in German, not Latin...

- Matt

Aside from 2nd declension neuter, the other -um endings are accusative and genative cases for various declensions and genders, but none are nominative

And yet another thread goes over my head in record time. At least Zach knows how to phrase things so my elementary school intellect can follow along. :rollhappy:

Yes, I will say that the '-um' in Paphiopedilum and all related genera are in fact under Second Declension Neuter, in Nominative Case... I think that the epithet Paphiopedilum and realted genera can combine with the specific epithet correctly, which can be any Latin noun... Paph. sangii, P. jackii, P. malipoense, P. hangianum... I think this is right... (?)

-PM

gore42 said:

- Matt

There are a number of errors/inaccuracies on that page.

For example, it states: "Thus it is correct to use 'album, virens, aureum, etc.' as opposed to 'alba, viride, aurea, etc.'"

However, under the photo of the P. stonei, it is labelled as "Paphiopedilum stonei var. alba"

Also, that photo of the Paphiopedilum emersonii f. luteum has been digitally yellowed out.

Here is a copy of the true image, taken by Sam Tsui, the former owner of that plant:

eal.jpg

lienluu said:
Aside from 2nd declension neuter, the other -um endings are accusative and genative cases for various declensions and genders, but none are nominative

you guys are giving me headaches and flashbacks about the days in high school when i was putzing around in german class and licking gummy bears till they got sticky and throwing them on the ceilling until they got stuck!

I think thats why i did so bad in german damn gummy bears. ach ya!

Lien - thats a sweet emersonii f. luteum

Marco said:
you guys are giving me headaches and flashbacks about the days in high school when i was putzing around in german class and licking gummy bears till they got sticky and throwing them on the ceilling until they got stuck!

I think thats why i did so bad in german damn gummy bears. ach ya!

Lien - thats a sweet emersonii f. luteum

Unzählige Fragen, die nach einer Antwort suchen. Doch ist es am Ende nicht immer wieder die gleiche Frage, und immer wieder die gleiche Antwort? Ball ist rund, Spiel dauert neunzig Minuten. Soviel ist schon mal klar. Alles andere ist Theorie. Und ab!

lienluu said:
Unzählige Fragen, die nach einer Antwort suchen. Doch ist es am Ende nicht immer wieder die gleiche Frage, und immer wieder die gleiche Antwort? Ball ist rund, Spiel dauert neunzig Minuten. Soviel ist schon mal klar. Alles andere ist Theorie. Und ab!

Damn you!

umm....something said...something something round ball play any minute something something after all its just a theory? something something

The only thing i remember is "woher ist die kloset?" and "ich habe keine idee" Yeah!

ok i need some advil now

LOL - That was a pretty good movie! One of the few German films I've seen in the past several years that I really enjoyed. I thought Franke Potante (sp?) was pretty decent in the American films she was in to...

- Matthew

lienluu said:

Bitte bitte lauf lauf!!!

I love that movie (Lola Rennt/Run Lola Run for those who have no idea what we're talking about).

The quote translates approximately to "uncountable questions, that people are trying to answer. But in the end, it's all the same questions, and the same answers. The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, this is certain. Everything else is theory. Go!"

ScottMcC said:
Bitte bitte lauf lauf!!!

I love that movie (Lola Rennt/Run Lola Run for those who have no idea what we're talking about).

The quote translates approximately to "uncountable questions, that people are trying to answer. But in the end, it's all the same questions, and the same answers. The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, this is certain. Everything else is theory. Go!"

I LOVE that movie and esp. love this opening monolog!

Back