Variable flowering???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
I know flowers can change slightly in color, shape, size etc in different years and different culture but this one has me tricked.
I bought it as a P. armeniacum cross but I think that idea went away on flowering. If anyone has an idea of what it may be it would help.
The first pic is the first flowering from the seedling, single growth.
The second pic is from the following year. The plant grows well and made up the new growth to flower at approx' the same time as the year before BUT what a diiference a year makes !!!
index_001-2.jpg

index_001_001.jpg

The white halo on the dorsal hints the cochlo might be liemianum. Some glaucophyllums can have that too though. Very speckly for a Parvi X Cochlo IMO. My guess is liemianum X some Brachy- concolor is a good possibility, but hard to say with the great similarities in the Brachys. What do the leaves look & feel like?

-Ernie

There was a batch of (victoria-regina x greyii) that were being sold by a Hawaiian wholesaler 3 or 4 years ago. They sometimes got sloppy about name tags. Under the old name for victoria regina that would be Ruby Charles (chamberlainianum x greyii).
... I have been shocked at how much flower quality can vary depending on size and health of the plant. I have a Paph Wellesleyanum that as a single or 2 growth plant was very open, not terribly good. I almost sold it, then as a 3 growth plant it bloomed and wow! It really filled out. Much wider petals, bigger flower, better color and so on. Similar, Paph Hellas 'Westonbirt' FCC/RHS as a one growth plant in a 4 inch pot, blooms are total dogs, small, petals narrow, color washed out. Bloom Hellas 'Westonbirt' FCC/RHS when the plant is a healthy 6 growth plant with roots that fill a 1 gallon nursery can and you will get 6 inch flowers that are nearly round and color will be vivid. Grown well Hellas 'Westonbirt' can bloom big and round enough that it could still make it as an FCC by today's standards. Culture is more important than you might think in determining flower quality. At least 50%. If you have a seedling, never assume its first blooming is as good as it will get, always try to give it a second or 3rd chance to see its potential.

To run a further question past everyone, I have looked back at the catalogs from the nursery of purchase. The only cross that comes close to the suggested parents that they have advertised is,
P. primulinum x godefroyae v Leucochilum. = P. Heeder Fladder.
The primulinum var is unknown.
I was thinking that the shape of the pouch on my plant could come from the Leucochilum Yes / No ??

Latest posts

Back