Quantcast

Vanda tricolor var. suavis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

JeanLux

Reaction score
These are not the usual large and 'blue' Vanda blooms, but I like them nevertheless. I have this plant since 2002 , it has grown very big with long roots, and it has become a reliable bloomer. This time there are 3 inflorescences with about 40 longlasting flowers (diam. +/- 6cm). no fragrance detected! Jean

Rick

Reaction score
That is an exceptionally well colored on Jean:clap:

These have awesome fragrance too on warm muggy mornings.

G

Grandma M

WOW!!!!! That is sure an eye catcher. I love the deep color contrast. Fanstatic photo.

It looks like it may be a huge plant but worth the space it takes. How often does it bloom?

I ordered the 10 seedlings for $49.95 special from RF Orchids. For that price I just couldn't turn it down. If I end up with possibly 3 nice one I will be happy. If they all survive, I may need to thin out my collection a bit and that will hurt.

Do you think I have become an orchid junkie? :poke:

JeanLux

Reaction score
WOW!!!!! That is sure an eye catcher. I love the deep color contrast. Fanstatic photo.

It looks like it may be a huge plant but worth the space it takes. How often does it bloom?

I ordered the 10 seedlings for $49.95 special from RF Orchids. For that price I just couldn't turn it down. If I end up with possibly 3 nice one I will be happy. If they all survive, I may need to thin out my collection a bit and that will hurt.

Do you think I have become an orchid junkie? :poke:

Yes, maybe a Vanda junkie Marilyn:rollhappy: If all the 10 keep growing you might get a Vanda-Wood!!

To give an idea of a large Vanda, here a pict. of the whole plant, 2 tall growths and 1 smaller one in the center ; behind a large Ansellia africana also blooming, and in the background Phrag Sorcerors Apprentice flowering all the time. These 3 are in the middle of my main bench, and are besides Sobralia macrantha my largest plants! Jean

SORRY the pict will come later, ImageShack seems to be in the weekend:D

E

Elena

That looks enormous, Jean (I'm also rather envious of that jungle)! Marilyn, I think you need to start building a house extension :rollhappy:

G

Grandma M

Marilyn, I think you need to start building a house extension :rollhappy:
Elena. I won't tell my kids what you said. They would cart me off to the funny farm. They tell me I should start thinking of a retirement home..........ME IN A RETIREMENT HOME???????????? Thats a place for old people. I still have too much living to do and too many orchids to grow and enjoy.

Jean. That really is a monster. I hope none of mine ever become that large. It's beautiful, but too large to grow in my home.

G

Grandma M

Don't laugh

Jean And Elena

This is where I grow my vandas in my basement. The area is larger than the picture looks. The pipes are 48 inchs long, they are 18 inches apart and 42 inches high. I have a 600 W HID light on a mover above them. The angle of the picture makes the area size look distorted.

The blooming plants are in my kitchen. I have 20 plants growing on 4 48" pipes. I stagger the plants across the pipes.

I plan to paint the side wall white when I can get to it. I don't tell my kids that, because I will need to stand on a step ladder to reach the upper portion......I'm not as helpless as they would like me to be.

OOPS. I forgot to mention the white shower curtain on the back wall is just to prevent me from misting my wall.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Jean!! That is a FABULOUS plant!!! I prefer the flower so much more than the big dinner plate vandas! The spots and the lip are amazing! At first I thought it was more like a Stanhopea bloom. I LOVE it! Good thing I cannot grow vandas, that's for sure!

JeanLux

Reaction score
I plan to paint the side wall white when I can get to it. I don't tell my kids that, because I will need to stand on a step ladder to reach the upper portion......I'm not as helpless as they would like me to be.

Sorry, Lux. is somewhat far away, otherwise I would have come to help you for that :clap:

The structure you have seems very practical for hanging Vandas, if there if enough light!! The roots will probably grow down to the floor; I have had to cut some away, this without any visible problems for the plants!

Jean

Latest posts