Vanda (Neofinetia) in Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When do the neo shows usually take place in Japan?

In time with their natural blooming cycle - here in Kyushu that would be the first week of July normally. Some were a little early this year.

They sell them in the grocery stores where Tom lives! :evil:

Almost, but not quite. You do see them at garden centers sometimes.

Lovely vans (neos). I'm now convinced I do need a Seikai.. or a Manjushage.. which would you pick first?

Every collection needs a Seikai because it is just so special, and not just for the flowers, the whole plant is really unique. Manjyushage has great flowers, but the plant is nothing out of the ordinary - well, it is nice, but not special. So I'd go with Seikai first…

I'm with Tom on the seikai. Seikai is also much cheaper and more readily available in the U.S. Rather than the manjyushage.

I got my seikai from nwo. I think Kristen still has some. :poke:

Every collection needs a Seikai because it is just so special, and not just for the flowers, the whole plant is really unique. Manjyushage has great flowers, but the plant is nothing out of the ordinary - well, it is nice, but not special. So I'd go with Seikai first…

I'm with Tom on the seikai. Seikai is also much cheaper and more readily available in the U.S. Rather than the manjyushage.

Good to hear that. I was leaning towards the Seikai already.

And a few more in flower this week:

'Oonamiseikai' - meaning "big wave blue ocean" - origin in Hyogo Prefecture sometime in the mid 1800's. Characterized by broad, curved leaves and large flowers that point slightly upward. Good grower and bloomer that can attain huge specimen size.

Oonamiseikai.jpg

'Tenshin' - a so called elephant nose flower due to the odd, elongated spur that extends out from the flower like a moth's proboscis. Said to have originated in Shikoku, it is now very commonly produced by seed and is relatively cheap and available. Not hard to grow or flower, though it's "nose" is often distorted into curled shapes rather than extending out nicely.

Tenshin1.jpg

'Eboshimaru' - originating in Kyoto, this is a large, old bean leaf type that is very vigorous in growth and can attain large clumps. In general this one produces more leaves than flowers, at least in my experience, but is a truly lovely plant. This year the flowers are fewer than normal.

Eboshi.jpg

Another wild type fuuran growing in a plum tree (Prunus mume) in my side yard. This plant has been established for 10 years now and always flowers well.

UmeFuuran.jpg

I was just reading this on your website on the train ride into work. I like the tenshin and eboshimaru. it's also great to see that these little guys are doing well outdoors. You have a good amount on the plum tree.

When is the pots page coming up? :poke:

When is the pots page coming up? :poke:

SOON! (honest)

I have Prunus mume growing in my front yard (zone 6b/7a): can I grow my neos outdoor year round?

This species is probably hardy down to 25 F as long as the daily average is above freezing, but after that it gets more dicey. I'd rate it fully hardy in USDA zone 9b and a bit more marginal in 9a. That is assuming it doesn't get any significant time below 25 F. Locally, I'd guess that plants way up on the mountains can occasionally get to around 20 F, though I can't comment specifically on this. In zone 7 it will be dead as a doornail without significant protection.

SOON! (honest)

This species is probably hardy down to 25 F as long as the daily average is above freezing, but after that it gets more dicey. I'd rate it fully hardy in USDA zone 9b and a bit more marginal in 9a. That is assuming it doesn't get any significant time below 25 F. Locally, I'd guess that plants way up on the mountains can occasionally get to around 20 F, though I can't comment specifically on this. In zone 7 it will be dead as a doornail without significant protection.

Ok, maybe I'll keep it outside until Nov and part of December, inside the next couple months, and back outside in March.

This is a really good conversation!

Regarding these large clumps of Neos...I sense that you are not growing your plants to eventually divide and sell/give away divisions. I also notice your observation that some of your plants didn't bloom as much this season as in years' past. Should large clumps of Neos be divided so that the division's would be stimulated to flowering?

I doubt that being a large clump is the reason for less flowering.
The reason I say this is because I have seen so many huge specimens loaded with flowers. So, they bloom just as good or even better as they age.

Maybe he repotted and stressed the plants or some other change might have happened. Or the plants just don't want to be in the mood this year somehow. Anything is possible, but I don't think being a big plant is one of them.

My biggest one with about 20 growths (after chopping off a portion with about three growths from it) had one spike last month, and now I see it is making 2 more spikes. The roots have been inactive for months since I divided in the spring but they are now waking up.

Last year, this same plant had 6 spikes all together.

This is a really good conversation!

Regarding these large clumps of Neos...I sense that you are not growing your plants to eventually divide and sell/give away divisions. I also notice your observation that some of your plants didn't bloom as much this season as in years' past. Should large clumps of Neos be divided so that the division's would be stimulated to flowering?

Matt, I don't like to divide them without good reason since they look awesome as large clumps. Occasionally a piece falls off a clump during repotting and I'm forced to separate it. The plants are being shaded by a holly tree I need to cut back, that is why they are flowering less these days. Another job for this summer!

I doubt that being a large clump is the reason for less flowering.
The reason I say this is because I have seen so many huge specimens loaded with flowers. So, they bloom just as good or even better as they age.

Maybe he repotted and stressed the plants or some other change might have happened. Or the plants just don't want to be in the mood this year somehow. Anything is possible, but I don't think being a big plant is one of them.

My biggest one with about 20 growths (after chopping off a portion with about three growths from it) had one spike last month, and now I see it is making 2 more spikes. The roots have been inactive for months since I divided in the spring but they are now waking up.

Last year, this same plant had 6 spikes all together.

You are correct, large clump size doesn't effect the flower count except to make it go up! I also find repotting once a year to be beneficial if you grow in pure sphagnum moss. Missing a year can cause roots to be a bit unhappy and flower count can go down from NOT repotting. I avoid repotting in summer however unless I have to since their roots are in full growth. Late winter is best IMO. I find the same thing with paphs I grow (Parvis mostly) - they are invigorated by repotting.

Thank you for the additional information. I do not have any Neofinetia that can be described as "clumps". Mine are still described as "one large fan with 3-4 babies". LOL!

Here's a few more. The summer flowering season is almost over.

'Senzai' - orginating in Kyushu, this is a extemely dwarf bean leaf type. The flowers tend to present themselves upward, have stout flower parts (known as plum-petaled) and a thick, hooked spur. Once these plants commanded very high prices, but since they are true from seed, the market is now flooded and the prices are much lower these days.

Senzai.jpg

'Manjushage' - a beautiful three spurred variety that has decreased in price over the last 5 years due to successful propagation by seed. This plant is said to be from Amami Island stock, which I can believe since it flowers a bit later than most fuukiran in my collection - a trait typical of most Amami types. My plant's flowers have a slight purple blush on the spurs.

ManjushagePLT.jpg

A closer view of the flowers of 'Manjushage'. In this shot you can see how the spurs curve forward in lovely arcs.

ManjushageFLS.jpg

Latest posts

Back