Vanda (Neofinetia) in Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
With everybody posting stuff about this species lately, I thought I'd share a few in my collection this year. I'm pretty rough with my plants, not repotting as much as I should, and letting nature do most of the work. Still, a few look pretty good this year.

Benisuzume - the cute little pink flowered form. I've been growing this plant for 10 years now. Flower count is just so-so, but still a nice display.

BeniFL15.jpg

Tamakongou - this little guy was planted on a tree fern "love swing" a few years back. It is doing pretty well and with time it should get pretty huge. Nice flowering this year despite any significant care on my part.

TamaK15.jpg

Seikai - I've grown this clump for around 8 years now - slow growing variety, but then again most Neos aren't what you'd call "fast". Two flower stalks this year made it to flowering. A must have for the Neo collector.

SekPL15.jpg

SekFL15.jpg

Finally, a wild form of "fuuran" that is mounted on another tree fern love swing. After struggling for the first few years, it is finally flowering pretty well this year.

LRGN15.jpg

More to follow in the next couple weeks. I went to a local Neo show last weekend, so there should be a video out on that soon too - probably August, my downtime at work.

They all look fantastic. Particularly the Sekai the Sekai is my personal favorite. The beni is also putting on quite a show!

I hope to get my neos in that condition at some point. Roots all over the place and healthy.

Beautiful plants, thanks for posting and I look forward to more pics.
I agree about Sekai, it's such a treat to have.
I'm wondering if you get pods forming on your garden neo's, ... are there pollinators about and have you seen them?

Outstanding.

What is a 'love swing'?????

Ha, ha! I just did a google image search for "love swing" and got an eye full of something unexpected… ah, I guess I'm from a more innocent time. My intention was one of those old wooden swings that young lovers would hold hands and drink tea on a summer's night. Apparently it has a different meaning these days :eek:

I just googled love swing and was equally shocked. hahaha
Well, what a perversion of the word love. lol
Reprogram your brain to never use love swing, but Swing Bench

Swing Bench, swing bench, swing bench..... :)

By the way, Swing Bench was the first thing that came to my mind though when I saw your description.

Beautiful bunch of neos, by the way!

Benisuzume has been on my wish list as I want soft pink colored neo in my collection, but I have a few of (Shutennou x Koto) crosses and one came out pretty similar in color. I am yet to find out another one which is about to open up in about a week or less.

How long have you had that Tamakongou?
I have one with about four fans and it has not yet flowered for me.
I like how small the whole plant is.

I'll look forward to more pictures and video. :)

Hey HP7, I've had the Tamakongou for around 7-8 years now - started as a single fan. These guys grow into monsters, with over a hundred fans possible on one plant. As for flowering, give them more light - something akin to what you'd give a bright growing Cattleya, but be careful not to burn it.

Yes, no more love swings for me :eek:

I should have a few more photos for this year's plants. I grow mine too dark and so they flower just so-so. More light!

I should have a few more photos for this year's plants. I grow mine too dark and so they flower just so-so. More light!

Please do post even if the flowers are just so-so!

I remember doing a search, a year or so back you posted a bluish/purplish neo hybrid the kept the neo form. The color on that hybrid was amazing. I can only imaging what else you have tucked away in your grow area that doesn't get enough light :poke:

The kurume tora is Really neat and well grown. The form is very consistent. Time permitting please do continue to post photos of your neos. It really is interesting to see the variations that are floating around in Japan. Particularly the ones that are not really offered here.

When do the neo shows usually take place in Japan?

Lovely vans (neos). I'm now convinced I do need a Seikai.. or a Manjushage.. which would you pick first?

I knew well enough what a love swing was.. Lol. You guys are great ; )

Back