Vanda Miss Joaquim

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
I bought 6 top cuttings at an orchid show not long ago which were supposed to be Vanda (or more correctly, Papilionanthe Diana), which is white in colour. But the first cutting to flower turned out to be Vanda (Papilionanthe) Miss Joaquim = (P. teres x P. hookerana). It is a very old hybrid and is the national flower of Singapore. This hybrid revolutionized the Malaysian and Singaporean cut-flower orchid industry back then :). This one is a little on the pale side. There are darker coloured varieties.. oh well, how can one resist when it was going at 3 cuttings for $10..? ;)

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

Nevertheless, this is a phantastic Vanda (I continue to call it Vanda), congratulations. I have some long stipes of Vanda teres and hookeriana in my greenhouse, but no flowers! Jean

That's what I call a good buy, 3 cuttings for $10.00:clap: It's a beautiful bloom.

I have some long stipes of Vanda teres and hookeriana in my greenhouse, but no flowers! Jean

Jean, i think you should give them higher light and humidity..Btw, vanda teres is a cooler growing species and needs a dry season to flower. V. hookeriana can be kept moist whole year round...

How big were the cuttings and how did you grow them?

Eric, the cuttings were each about 45 cm long. I plant them in normal epiphytic orchid compost. These love high humidity, just like strap-leaved vandas, and they are grown in full (or almost full) tropical sunlight.

Back