Utricularia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MissMorbus

My Utric. graminifolia (bladderwort) is in bloom. This is the first time it's bloomed for me, so I'm really excited. It's so tiny, I had a hard time getting the focus right. The camera just skipped right over it! To give you an idea of the size, that huge white blob in the first picture is a standard sized plastic plant label.

I love the soft blue color.

utricgraminifoliahq4.jpg

utricgraminifolia2df3.jpg

Thanks for the compliments everyone! They are tiny, but beautiful, and amazingly easy to grow. I have mine sitting in a south facing window. They are in little pots (actually half sized clear dixie type cups with holes in the bottom) on my windowsill. I just put the pots in a saucer of distilled water, and I refill the saucer when it's dry. That's it. I've read that you should put pond water in their saucers every now and then so they can eat micro organisms, but I haven't done that yet.

neat!
is that the only utric you grow?

Nope, I also grow livida, warburgii, and dichotoma. The livida is also in bloom, but the spike got so long that's its bent over. It's probably about 12 inches long, so it's laying over a couple of other utric pots. I'm afraid to move it to get a picture because I'm afraid it might break off. I haven't figured out how I would stake a plant so tiny. I guess I could use a cocktail straw, but how in the world would I tie it to the straw? :confused: I'm also afraid the straw would damage the bladders in the soil.

cool! i've got livida, calycifera (?), and sandersonii.
do you have a fan on them? all mine get good air circulation and the inflorescences stand, pretty much, straight up.
i'd say don't worry if you break a few bladders. i think that they make so many that a few won't really hurt it. though, i could be wrong....
are all your's terrestrials or do you grow any of the aquatic species? mine are all terrestrials.

they seem to grow great for me in straight peat moss sitting in r.o. water in bright light (i had to take them out of the growth chamber so they're in the greenhouse now).
when you gonna be down here? i'll start a few up for you... you ain't gettin' the calycifera, though...

cool! i've got livida, calycifera (?), and sandersonii.
do you have a fan on them? all mine get good air circulation and the inflorescences stand, pretty much, straight up.
i'd say don't worry if you break a few bladders. i think that they make so many that a few won't really hurt it. though, i could be wrong....
are all your's terrestrials or do you grow any of the aquatic species? mine are all terrestrials.

No, I don't have a fan on them but it would be really hard to get one near them. I really wonder if it's had to do with light. It's been dark and rainy nearly everyday for the past month, so I wonder if it was trying to grow towards the light. Fortunately the weather is getting sunnier now, so maybe it will fix the problem.

I have mine growing in an equal part peat/perlite mix, and they are happy.

Heather - They are neat little plants, and I hope you are able to get a few.

I have to find a source for some small aquatic ones. Any suggestions?

California Carnivores
Sarracenia Northwest

Both of these vendors have one, but they are different ones, so that makes two.

California Carnivores has an actual shop in California, so I've heard you can email or call them and inquire about particular plants if you can't find what you are looking for on their website. Who knows, they might know of somewhere you can get aquatics if they don't have any.

Oops. I just realized I forgot to answer your question.

I only grow terrestrials. It seems like a lot of aquatic species need to grow outdoors, and in Louisiana that only means one thing....mosquitoes.

Plus, I have a German Shepherd that would end up in the pond/tank/grow area. She loves water, and I can see her jumping in to splash around and finding these long stringy plants that make neato dog toys. :evil:

um, don't mean to be silly, but you realize that the aquatic ones don't take any media and grow directly in water, right?
i've often wondered if i grew utrics in with my plants, as they've very small and i don't think they'd interfere, if they'd eat fungus gnat larvae...

Back