Utricularia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utricularia gibba is what would be referred to as an affixed aquatic meaning if you choose to try to grow this plant from CA Carnivores, you might want to try doing so in an opaque 3 gallon shallow container (I have used deep cat litter pans) with around 2" of wet sphagnum moss topped with another inch of very well rinsed sand. The layer of sand keeps the water clear. Fill with rain water/distilled water/RO water to only an inch or so over the sand. Gently stick the end of your plant into your medium. If you try to grow this plant in too deep of water or as an aquatic, it will never bloom. If you can add some pond water, great. Do not add mosquito dunks, the traps like the larvae. U. gibba is one of the easiest aquatic utrics to grow but they don't like algae.

At Sarracenia Northwest, they photographed what appears to me to be U. macrorhiza.
http://www.cobraplant.com/temperateplants/utricularia-vulgaris.html
They mention a random selection of utrics being sent out and all of those mentioned should work ok for you providing they aren't in fast moving water. All three are indigenous to the US and all three are suspended aquatics meaning they don't need to be "grounded" and will flower for you free floating. The suspended aquatic utrics are a little bit trickier to grow because they are finicky about water chemistry and can not compete with any algae.

All of the utrics mentioned above are temperate species. In the fall when the outer air temps begin to drop, they sink to the bottom of the ponds after having died back to small turions formed in late summer. In the spring they float back up and begin active growth. They need a dormancy or they will burn themselves out. If you don't have an artificial pond in which to grow utrics, you can bring their "home" into your unheated garage for a dormancy period.

Based on my experiences with fungus gnats, they damage terrestrial utrics particularly the smaller ones. I took care of fungus gnats with a product called Gnatrol which I think I bought online.

So will you be trying to grow any aquatic utrics? The gibba reproduces rapidly and flowers profusely when provided with the proper environment and within no time at all you would have a nice conversation piece of a burst of yellow sunshine from the container.

Me too. I have one cyp on the way this fall and two cyps on the way next spring. That will be a grand total of three cyps. Does this constitue working on a collection? Just kidding, I know I'm behind the eight ball compared to everyone else here but I'd like to end up with a collection of about 4-5 different species of cyps someday.

Not really behind the ball. I only have the 9 reginae seedlings from this summer. I'm trying not to spread myself any thinner as I'm involved in so many hobbies; but I might eventually get to Utriculriae.

I keep forgetting I have about 10 mottled leaf Paphs here. Couldn't tell you what I have without looking at the plant tags though. I guess I am a collector of slippers after all!

I, too, don't like to spread myself too thin.

Latest posts

Back